Best bass comparison vid - Headphones On!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Jan 14, 2022.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    :thumbsup:Hey y’all. Check out this video (it’s not mine). It’s probably the best comparison of several of the most popular bass sounds: Precision, Jazz, Stingray, Rickenbacker, Warwick, and Thunderbird. Be sure to use monitors or a good set of headphones. Wouldn’t hurt to close your eyes while listening to this as well :thumbsup:

Which do you like the best? Which do you think is the worst? Which surprised you the most?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I’d say my least favourite by a long mile is the Rickenbacker. It sounded universally terrible with all the styles, followed closely by the Tbird. I was surprised that the Tbird actually sounded pretty good in slap style!

3. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    All of em, and none of em. I wouldn't really be able to decide, they all sound great to me. I ever so slightly prefer the Rickenbacker over the others with the pick, and maybe feel like the Rickenbacker is slightly weaker than the others fingerstyle. Slap, they all sound great.

Otherwise, I'd take any of em, I like how all of em sound.

L

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'm a Ric fan but it sounded dreadful. The Warwick appealed to me the most across the board.

That being said my gear is setup to bring the best outta a Ric so other basses might sound like rubbish when run through it as well.

dalahorse, scott sinner and Nashrakh like this.
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I also feel that the one-size-fits-all approach of the video doesn't really do the individual basses justice, as each one of them may need a bit of coaxing to sound their best. But maybe that's not what the video was about -- then again, what was it about?

Les Fret and incubus2432 like this.
  6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    It’s about enjoying the sounds of different kinds of basses and then having a fun conversation about it.

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I think there's something wrong with the Ric, doesn't sound quite right to my ears, certainly nothing like mine. Pbass was the overall winner for me in this vid.

TinyE, Kendescending, DeepHz and 6 others like this.
  8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I was thinking the same thing. I’ve never owned a Rickenbacker bass or even played one but it occurred to me that if this is what they all sounded like, then it’s unlikely that folks would buy them.

TJH3113, dalahorse, BlueTalon and 3 others like this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    As soon as I saw "comfortable chair" I knew I could watch no further!

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  10. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It's really noticable in the picking section. Some kind of popping/distortion that's not "normal".

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Based on these recordings, I'd go P bass for finger, Thumb for slap, maybe T-bird for pick and I would sell the Rick immediately.

12. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    My takeaway:
    Stingrays don't like picks.
    First time I've seen anyone slap a Ric.

13. Scott Shaw

Scott Shaw

Jun 6, 2019
    Listening on computer speaker at work. P always sounds great, Jazz too. I was surprised at how good the Tbird sounded. I'll listen again on some proper equipment when I get home.

Eli_Kyiv and Philip McAdam like this.
  14. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Johnny Lee Long about 6:50 in.....

15. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    Tried to escape the common wisdom, but P played circles in all of them, in any category.
    (Very) far away second, T-Bird. Worst of the bunch, Rick/Warwick, but I'd probably pick the Rick.

Eli_Kyiv and butterfingers1 like this.
  16. LeFunk Machine

LeFunk Machine

Sep 12, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Scott's Bass did a comparison as well. Anyway, I think the P bass was my favorite.

17. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Agreed, Overall I felt the Wick sounded best to my ears. And not a Ric fan at all, but knowing people that are, I know these basses are a great sounding basses. Not sure whats up with the one in that video.

Durham52 and scott sinner like this.
  18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    IMHO, there was a tie.
    Fingers- Jazz and Warwick
    Slap- Jazz and Warwick
    Pick- Jazz and Warwick
    The rest seemed to be pretty meh to me. The Ric was definitely overdriving his recorder when picked.

Eli_Kyiv and sotua like this.
  19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Looking at his wrist makes mine hurt.

20. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    In this vid, All the active basses with soapbars sounded the best to me and the Jazz style basses came in 2nd. Just not a fan of P basses or Gibsons.

LeFunk Machine and funkinbottom like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022