1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for $1,000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AccidentInTheLa, May 17, 2011.

1. AccidentInTheLa

AccidentInTheLa

Jan 23, 2011
    I have $1,000 to spend. Whats the best bass for the money?

Currently playing a MIM Fender Jazz in a rock/alt cover band.

Any recommendations?

2. My band fits the same general classification. I've got a MIM Precision and MIM Jazz. If I were in your position, I'd get an American-made Precision.

3. If you find a "well loved" $2,000 bass for $1,000 go for it.

I just played an American Jazz Deluxe......wow!....You can also find nice used Spector basses for 1K, they are good for an all around rock sound.!

:bassist:

4. Could you do a demo for us?...to hear how it sounds?:bassist:

Edit:Nevermind, i just watched some demos on YT. Sounds way too "tin" like for me (missing some cajones:meh:)

:bassist:

5. gordon sims

gordon sims

Nov 23, 2010
    I don't play alt rock or anything comparing to Green Day's music, but this bass is absolutely amazing for its price. It has a great vintage sound and high-mids that cut through the mix.

If this is the sound you are looking for, I totally recommend it. I tried out every fender bass in the store and the only ones that sounded better in my opinion were a couple of vintage precision and jazz basses that were selling for $3,000 plus.

And it looks awesome.

6. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    go to the stores and play a bunch

7. I'm not set up to record right now but there are several YouTube videos out there that can give you a decent idea of what you can expect. There are also some other TB'ers that own the Shifter who may put in their .02 cents.

8. Super D

Super D

Apr 9, 2011
    Indy
    The BEST bass for the money is one that YOU are happy with..

9. Yea i edited my post ;)

10. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Lakland Skyline basses are very good and priced in line with your budget.

11. My vote is for Warwick. You can find Corvette $$ and whatnot all over this place for next to nothing.

12. I'll see if I can get a recording up in the next little while. Don't forget, YouTube compresses audio and who the hell knows how and what it was recorded with so as with all YT videos, YMMV. It's always better to try any bass in person, of course.

13. Fender PJ deluxe or Carvin SB4000

Check those out...

14. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Dingwall Combustion. Bass San Diego has a natural in stock; they quoted me just over a thousand for it. Otherwise they pop up now and again in the classifieds for a grand or less.

15. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    Squier CV, one of each.

16. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I'm down with the Godin Shifter 4. Replaced my precision and jazz basses. I'd highly recommend trying one out. Definitely worth the time.

17. Carvin SB4000 FTW!

18. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Another Warwick $$ vote. I got mine for 999$ CAD.

19. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    This is such a vague, subjective question. For a $1,000, you can get a LOT of bass. For the love of all that is good and holy, go used. You can get such great stuff for that price range. Good luck and post your pick!