Best bass for death/doom metal???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FreeThinker 444, Dec 18, 2003.

1. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    I am picking up my first bass this weekend and have been researching a bit. I think I am going to get either an Ibanez, Fender, or B.C. Rich but I don't know much. Even though it will be my first bass and am just learning, I dont want to pick up a piece of ****. Any suggestions?

I am looking to spend between 300-400 dollars new or used.:bassist:
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Do a search, there are tons of threads about basses in that price range.
  3. Man I play death metal and progressive metal something like DEATH the band or Control Denied.

I bass I would recommend would be a Conklin 4 strings or a cort curbow 4 or 5 strings. but I would start with 4. I myself got a 7 string Conklin and man I'm telling you They are awesome!!! and they look nice!!! a conklin 4 is about 450$ but if you talk to the guy in the store (wherever you buy it) tell him you have 400 and he'll sell it to you i'm sure. I know bc richs are nice too but the cheap ones suck in my opinion compared to a conklin or cort curbow.
  4. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    Just checked out the Conklin. Im gonna add that to my list to check out. =) Thanks. Btw, Death and Control Denied rock. \m/
  5. At first I didnt like conklin because I though they might not be good because its conklin a not well know brand not a lot of people know it but I tried one and I was like woooooooooooooowwww this bass rocks!!! and they really do I recommend it strongly you cant go wrong with conklin and dont be fooled by good looks sounds is what counts bc richs may seem nice because they look nice but they are cheap inside. conklin is way way better
  6. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    Ya, they are receiving great ratings from people wherever I look em up. :)
  7. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    dont forget ESP, they suit all styles of music,
    hell most basses do nowadays due to EQ's and the like
  8. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    I forgot to add that I am mainly interested in a 4 string.:bassist:
  9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.

If your going to play anything technical, you will want something with great playability and that is capable of low action.

BC RICH: although they are the staple of metal guitars, bottom line is : for the most part they suck. I have hated every BC rich product that i have played. Boring tone, horrible necks and bad playabilty.

Ibanez: Ibanez would be a good bet. Find a nice used Soundgear 5 string. Easy to play, nice tight string spacing so you can move around faster, great neck. ( also good for slapping, you know... if your into that kind of thing.)

No comment about the korean spectors.

Esp are nice basses. I have an f207 7 string guitar and i love it. I really want an h307...
    But theyre basses are just as nice.

Check out a Peavey Grind(the natural wood finish ones with the exotic woods) They are in your price range and are extremely good deals.

No comment on any conklin with less than 7 strings.
    but the 7 string groove tools basses are awesome.
    Probably a bit too much for you though.

Im not sure if you could, but if you could find a used warwick(NOT rockbass) streamer standard, i would jump on that. those are great basses also.
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ibanez basses can be nice and are popular with the metal crowd. Fender Precision is also a good choice and is used a wide variety of musical situations. Don't be afraid to try them. In fact, try as many basses as you can and go with what feels good and not with how it looks. You will be much happier that way.

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Not to be rude, but the time you wasted typing that, you could have either went to a different thread or posted some opinions.

why does everyone who ha sbeen here for a while get so weird when someone new asks a question like this? searching brings up some good stuff.. some times. maybe he wants some different opinions, or maybe someone who hasnt visited those threads will stop by this one and reply with a suggestion that he hasnt seen anywhere else...
  12. Well the ESPs are nice too I prefer conklin but thats just me. the bassist or death and control denied has a f204 and an f204 fretless which are nice but more expencive than the conklin. Ibanez are nice too the SR series I have an SR406 (very nice bass) but I still would go with conklin better sound and quality but thats my opinion maybe you like another one just try them and see whats better for you.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll echo Groove Tools' recommendation.. I have owned two GT 7s (still own my fretless model) and they're excellent basses.. If you didn'y know, they've upgraded the 4 and 5 string models with Bartolini pickups and a three band preamp..

Hella nice!!!
  14. Henkka from Children of Bodom uses an ESP and it sounded pretty nice live. Which is more than I can say about many bass tones live.
  15. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    Thank you very very very much to all that have replied so far. I went to the local Guitar Center in my area and they did not have a very good variety at all. Tons of Fender, Ibanez, and Warwick (expensive) models, one Spector Q4, NO ESP's, NO Conklin's... :(

I was looking at a few ESP F204's online and they have received good reviews as well. I am so indecisive on this.

Anybody know of any really good stores or online stores that have a wide array of brands/models and great prices? The biggest one I have seen yet is MusiciansFriend and a couple others that werent as in depth.
  16. From what partg of the us are you man?? I'm from MD and at the guitar center near my house the sell the same stuff I would order it at musicians and friends or I can help you find a better store.
  17. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    Im from Providence, RI. I just found ESP F204's for $350 at and SameDayMusic. THAT is tempting. I may just go that route.
  18. yeah thats a nic looking bass and nice bass in general it has emg hz pickups!! nice bass
  19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi FreeThinker444, for death/doom metal I'd guess that the looks of the instrument might be almost as important as the sound! I'd go for the BC Rich, they have a good sound and good looks too.