Best Combo for 5 string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I recently got back into playing a 5er and I have found that my Ampeg b100r doesn't like the extreme lows at high volume. I tried a Yorkville XM200 which is better but still protests. I'm looking for a combo that can handle the low B while being pushed to it's limits. Is there such an animal? A 4x10 combo would be too big, I would just as soon pack my stack. The band has JBL 18's out front so it's just for stage volume I still need a good deal of stage volume as we play some good sized stages. Thanks in advance for your replies...
  2. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I have and recommend HIGHLY the NEW Aguilar 2x12 combo. That will also give you two twelves, lots of power and a very smooth low B.

RB does not sell agiuilar. - Ivanmike
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much you willing to spend? and how loud are you guys onstage? got plenty of power? cant do wrong with an Acme 2x10. :cool:
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have to rec the Peavey BAM 210... an excellent little combo. Heavy, but it has unbelievable versatility, great tone and plenty of power and doesn't fart out on the B string. But they're being discontinued for some BS reason, get one while you can they're worth the expenditure, around 900-1000 new.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden Metro, SWR Super Redhead, Fender Bassman 400 Pro
  6. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Find an Eden WT800 headbridge it into 8 ohms and get an Eden 210xst. Portable and you can expand later. No problem handling a five.
  7. Yes,yes,and yes.
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you have the $Jack$, get one of the EA combos, iAmp-800 Combo or Wizzy 200 Combo (possibly w/ext. Wizzy cab) (if you must have a combo).

IA Focus + Schroeder 1210 or 1212 makes a very compact/portable/potent/toneful system.
  9. R Briere

You wanted good combos and now you've got them. Now all you need is $27,436 to buy one of each and you'll be in good shape. Enjoy!! :)
  10. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    FYI most people say the SWR Super Redhead can't handle the low B on it's own at any reasonable volume and you'd need an extension cab. This doesn't knock that amp, it's possibly my favorite combo ever, just not for 5 string work at high volume.
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    In my experience, the SWR Super Redhead DOESN'T handle a low B. Farts out at high volumes. It's the ONLY reason I didn't keep mine.
  12. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    don't want to pick nits here, but i always thought the connotation of combo meant self-contained, i.e. one thing to carry or roll into the gig.

other than providing for modularity and versatility in various venue sizes, i'm not sure recommending combo + extension cab answers his question... :confused:

i'm signing up to this thread, as i'm still collecting info/opinions on the elusive "one cabinet/combo does it all"...

i'm also interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on how well the cabs/combos mentioned here actually pump out the lows on a B string at higher volumes - not how well they just 'handle' a B... :)
  13. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis

Yes, "at higher volumes" is key. The Yorkville xm200 does a pretty impressive job at moderate volume but when pushed beyond 50% it distorts but only when I really dig in to notes below an "E" on the B string... Keep in mind I'm using an active 5 string bass (new battery) with a Sansamp bass driver as a preamp thru the effects loop. All amp settings are flat with the "scoop" at 12:00. Bass controls are flat except for a very slight boost on the bass knob. I realize this is asking alot of the amp. It just keeps sounding better the louder and lower to my ears. I also realize that this is not necessarily the best tone for cutting thru in a band situation but it inspires my playing so I feel I can perform better.

Oh and the Sansamp settings are Level and Blend maxed, bass and trout at 1:00, drive at noon, presence nil.
  14. R Briere

"Picking nits" is always a drag......especially just as you're getting ready for the prom......ewwwwww. :)

In regards to the benefits of combos, I felt it important to mention that by itself, the Genz-Benz 400 would do fine for a four string........but since the question included the use of a "low B at ample volume levels and a 4x12 was too big", adding the extra info can make or break a great sound.

My 2x12 Aguilar is a GREAT "combo", but I wouldn't want to try and carry IT in one hand and my bass in the other. Can it handle a low B? You Bet!

Just more food for thought. :)
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If the object is an easy one-trip load-in/load-out, either Schroeder 1210 or 1212 in one hand, bass guitar in the other (or slung over the sholder), IA Focus over the sholder in its own little bag, and you're there.
    Awesome tone, very loud, solid low 'B', but of course, do what you want.
  16. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, carry/roll...
    220/221... whatever it takes! :D

I was eyeing up the aggie 2x12 combo - I'm in the same scenario as alot of folks here, i guess. Gigs range anywhere from a jazz trio background music to a LOUD 9 piece band, playing bigger rooms (300-1000 people, weddings, corporate events, etc.). PA is run from stage, & only vox, horns & keys go through. How do you think the aggie combo would hold up in this situation? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

downside -- looks pretty pricey as well, and my days of high-end gear are somewhat behind me (& my 2 kids :smug: ).

I've followed that ridiculously gigantic yet somehow fascinating schroeder thread since day one. definitely interested in the exact combination you mention...

but without opportunity to actually try any of his cabs on a gig around here, i'm afraid to pull the trigger! :( A lot of people have said the 1210 is awesome, but my gut tells me the 21012 would suit my needs better on the louder gigs. If i could, I'd get one of each, or their equivalents. But there goes the portability theory. it's a definite bonus to setup & tear down in 5 minutes & get the hell out of dodge...

I did a search, but haven't seen much info on the new carvin combo short of what's reiterated from their web site & from the catalog - i'm not sure if it's shipping yet or not. it looks pretty good on paper, but some key info is missing (SPL, freq. range,etc.). definitely enought watts, speakers, has a handle, and the cab design looks somewhat similar to schroeder, tech soundsystems, etc. with the angled driver and all...

anyone heard any new news about it?
  17. If you have enough fund, there you go..
    Huge bottom from small monster. You'll see once you heard it. :cool:
    I have one in my room & it always sound like thunder on gain & master 5..
    Also you nver loose your highs & middle if you turn knobs little.
    I highly recommend it.. :hyper:
  18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The EA combos should do really well, based on my experience with one of their 1x10 cabs.

And a +1 for the metro.
  19. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I find myself using a Fishman Pro platinum EQ into a Crest vs900 into a EA cxl-112 recently. Aside from the power amp being a beast (3 space for a measley 900 watts bridged into 4 ohms, aargh!) this makes for a compact set-up. The Fishman is actually more versatile/usable than I thought it would be.

If I was wanting a combo amp, I would be tempted to get a powered EA Whizzy or two and drive it with that Fishman.
  20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I played a 5 through an Eden Metro 2X10 at a local store and it was nice. It handled the low B no problem - even at high levels. The thing is heavy (98 pounds) and expensive - about $1,400 I think.