Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best D.I. : Avalon U5 or Millennia TD1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone compared both of these units? I am considering which one to pair with my Sadowsky bass, it will be my only signal chain piece so I am looking for a preamp and di

2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I have never tried a Millenia, and I have never even heard of anyone that has. I have tried an Avalon, and I can give you a page of names, both Pro's and amateurs that use the Avalon, that might be a good indication. For my money, the Avalon is the best DI I have ever heard. If I could afford one I'd stick one at the front of my amp just because it sounds so good.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search for Terry B's little comparison review. i think he actually commented on one of my posts asked about different high end DI boxes.

but from all accounts, the TD1 is super clean transparent kinda sound that replicates your bass' tone PERFECTLY.

but it also seems rather too pricey to gig around with, unlike the U5, which is lightweight, easy to carry in a 2U rack, and is an all around incredible value. nothing compares to it, really.

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Just noticed your response to this post...I actually have an Avalon in my possesion right now and will have a Raven Labs APD-1 this week, just to compare the two...I will keep you posted

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol, i love "resurrected" threads.

but i still stand by my U5 love. and yea, let us know.

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    will do Joker. BTW, we are both running similar setups...I too am a Sadowsky man! I have a killer 4 string that I absolutely love! I'll let you know my findings...I just wish the Avalon had an aux input for practicing with CD's, that an a custom bag and it would be unstoppable! Thankls, Marc

7. Ya get a ton more versatility with the Millennia. Phantom, Polarity reverse, Speaker soak, FILTERS, and tubes!

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Anyone who has used the TD-1 or the Origin STT-1, which side do you prefer for the gain section, the SS or Tube (along with the type of music you were doing) and why did you prefer that sound?

[I started a very similar thread to this one. I thought I would put this question both places.]

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    [I be bumping... Bueller?......Bueller?]

10. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    They're actually two different beasts. The TD-1 allows you to choose between SS or Tube instrument buffers before the solid state HV-3 pre-amp. The STT-1 uses a Tube instrument buffer but gives you the choice between SS or Tube pre-amps, in this case the HV-3 or the M2-B (tube). Both pres sound amazing. The HV-3 is more accurate (less colored) but the tube settings add a very nice color.

I've been using the TD-1 with the tube DI buffer - which is sent through the HV-3 that's inside of the unit. I couldn't be happier with this tone. The STT-1 in tube mode is fatter but my tone is plenty fat for me and I'm happy with the (relative) portability that the TD-1 affords me. I bring it to gigs that have backlines and use it as a front end. On other gigs I bring it and either my WWU or my Demeter VTHF300M. The latter is my hands-down, absolute favorite combination.

I got into the Millennia thing, admittedly, to try and glean the Anthony Jackson tone (at least on some level - as AJ is using Meyers speakers/amplification - - Prockenklang, feel free to post your rig and make us all drool!). But I personally love the sound of the Millennia stuff through a big, tube amplifier. AJ's pre is the HV-3. He uses a stand alone unit (not the TD-1 or the STT-1) but It's much easier to use one of the two units above because they offer 1/4" inputs and instrument level inputs.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions.

11. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Avalon U-5=8.5 in.x12in.x3.5in.,12 lbs

Millennia TD-1=8.5 in.x13in.x3.5in.,15 lbs

I used to own a U-5,and loved it,until I heard the TD-1! I now own a TD-1 and a STT-1 and am blown away every time I plug into them!

The TD-1 is alot more money than the U-5,but is well worth it.They don't make a rack kit for a single TD-1 yet,but I was able to use a U-5 rack kit by just re-drilling the holes and it worked great!

As you can see,the TD-1 is almost the same size as the U-5.The TD-1 weighs a little more,but it has alot more features ,plus it sounds way better!!

John

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Very helpful info guys, thanks!

13. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    No problem. Check them both out and see what you like. There is a fairly significant price difference so you really need to think about what is most important to you. The TD-1 is pretty uncompromising - another nice benefit of it is that when used as the front end of a bass rig (not just a DI) you have one of (IMO) the best bass pre-amps you will find at any price. The TD-1 really is much more than just a DI.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    omfg... that must be unreal.

got any gigs in the city soon? would love to hear what that slams like.

btw, is there anyway of racking the TD-1?

15. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    You can mount two TD-1's side by side in a rack, but it doesn't seem as practical as either just bringing an STT-1 or picking up the TD-1 gig bag and running with that.

Nothing in NYC in the near term but I always have stuff going on out here in LI.

16. While everyone is off talking about Demeter tube amps I thought I should sneak over here and go with the first option (STT-1, w/ Telefunkens). I still haven't managed to pick my jaw up off of the floor...

17. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    i have a td-1 that i use for recording. there is a u5 at the studio and imo the u5 doesn't compare at all. that being siad i always use the the tube section and it has a mullard12at7 in it. one thing though, there isn't a power button. when you plug it in, it's on.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    In a search here, I noticed one person saying that you could use the rack ears for an Avalon U5, but you have to drill some new holes in it to get it to work (I assume, the holes where the pre mounts to the rack ears). The TD-1 & U5 are the same width and height.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Movin' on up through the tone zone, I see...

Howz that sound with your 728 and El W?

20. Like yourself I had originally thought to go with the U5 or TD-1 but got offered the STT-1 at an unbelievable price, with an option to try it out first. Of course, this proved to be my undoing... there was absolutely no hope of me ever returning it once I had heard what it was capable of.

I will be combining the STT-1 with a lightweight SS power amp primarily: QSC PLX or Stewart 2.1. It is a perfect match for the El Whappo... which allows you to hear every subtle nuance of setting and adjustment. Moving up indeed! :hyper:

Initial thoughts... the STT-1 is not optimised for electric bass like many of the dedicated bass preamps we've become accustomed to in that there are no footswitchable functions. Also the controls might seem overwhelming at first. What's lost in simple convenience however is more than compensated for in tonal quality and flexibility... exactly what I had hoped for and a lot more.

I have only a few hours on it so far, so I'll need to temper my initial enthusiasm with some actual field testing before I can post something a bit more meaningful. It's been said before and I concur that the Millenia gear is in a league of it's own.