1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best DI box option?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by KingRazor, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I'm looking at buying a new bass for my church (one of these days, I've been wanting to do it for months but still don't have the money :rollno: )

I'm going with a passive bass, they're tired of batteries so I think a good passive bass would be a real blessing for them.

Right now we're using a passive DI box for the church bass. Pretty simple one, has a PAD switch and a ground lift, 1/4" in and out, and an XLR out.

Do you think the bass will suffer too much treble loss if it's plugged into that box? If so, do you have any recommendations for one that won't?

2. Can't go wrong with an Avalon U-5. Pricey, but some of the best sounds come out of that thing.

3. Yeah, that's a bit pricey for this application, but very cool box.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Passive basses benefit going direct by using an ACTIVE direct box... I suggest a Countryman Type 85, or if your board has phantom power (most do), then a Radial J48 is the even better option in some cases. I like the Countryman because it also uses a 9V battery in the event phantom power isn't available. It's like the Swiss Army knife of DI's and it sounds great! If batteries are an issue all around, then this may be a moot point. Either way, passive basses used with passive DIs can sometimes yield a signal with less of a robust character and some high-end loss.

5. Oh, lol, the radial j48 is what we're already using. I thought it was a passive box. Guess not. Awesome. One less thing to buy.

6. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    For a little bit less you can check Sadowsky or EBS D.I., they are good, not good as U5 or Demeter or other professional D.I. but I think will fit your gig.
    Cheers
    YouTube
    WebSite