Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best effect for metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pmutch, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    Lookin to buy some effects, but don't know what kind to buy. I want to play metal-heavy, etc. ANy help is appreciated.thanx

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    early 70's Ampeg SVT!!!!

3. yeah early 70's ampeg is a great effect :rolleyes:

what type of metal do you play? metallica fan get a distortion and a wah, if not i suggest distortion metal doesnt use alot effects on bass. try them all out and think how you can apply this effect to metal playing. you might find for a use for a phaser or a chorus but i hardly doubt you would use it as in metal its all about the crazy ass guitars and you wont really notice those effects unless your playing alone. all in all i suggest distortion with a wah, all youll ever need for metal bass playing.

oh and on a side note, Don't Forget About Your Mids!

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The best effect I've found for metal bass is using EQ wisely. Most metal guitarists scoop all their midrange, which pretty much cuts out the actual note and leaves just low end flub and high end hiss. Boost your mids to compensate for what the guitars have lost. But remember, for every EQ there is a fool to use it.

Try not to use too much distortion. The guitarists are already using it anyway, and if you overdo it you will just dissappear in the mix.

5. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    true, I would try to make your bass sound as clean, warm and broad as possible. there's no point in playing with heavy distortion or fancy wah's if you're just playing root notes, cause you will disappear in the mix. and there's no point either if you're playing kick ass fill's, but there's coverd in a thick layer of heavy distortion.

unless you're looking for some effect for some solo's or fill's. in that case i'd go with a phase shifter and maybe some fuzzy distortion. maybe combined with a wah

but basically it's all up to you, whatever sound you like,... I'd say go for it

6. actually mostly new metal bands scoop their mids like that but if hes talking about normal awesome metal, metallica and slayer for example they usually boost their mids slightly.if you like metallica get dist and wah and use it wisely if you overuse it people will kill you.

7. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    flanger effects are great.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually, Kirk and James scooped their mids, especially during Load and Reload. Jason boosts his mids to fill in that sonic space. Trust me :D

Oh yeah, Big Muff Pi is a good metal bass fuzz pedal, very versatile, everyone should have one!

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use distortion (overdrive) and Wah (metallica fan).

10. they didnt scoop a whole lot, definetly not as much as other bands did thats what i meant.