1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"best" EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jzucker, Aug 28, 2007.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I know this'll probably stir up the pot but has anyone done a comparison between various EUB basses and written up a review? I'm interested in getting something with low action that I can use for soloing but that also has a good sound for jazz rhythm section playing. Sounds like the Eminence may be the way to go for rhythm section stuff but what else is out there that's comparable or perhaps better for one thing or another?

Yes, I've done searches and read many of the postings in this forum...

Thanks,

Jaz

2. Basso Musico

Basso Musico

Mar 10, 2006
    Boston, MA USA
    Former Endorsing Artist: AlterEGO instruments
    Hi Jaz,

I have played many of them and have specific requirements for an EUB that stem from 20 years of playing double bass. Based on my requirements - and these are right for me but may or may not be right for you - the AlterEGO bass is the "best" instrument. I endorse the basses now.
    Much has already been written within the forum on these basses. Here is the thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159557&highlight=alterego

Thanks,
    Rick McLaughlin

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks Rick. I know it's a stupid topic because there is no "best" but I'm looking for something that has some DB vibe but at the same time, I would also like something with a bit lower action to play bop-type solos on. On my electric, I can solo on it like it's a big jazz guitar but on my DB, the action is just too high. That obviously contributes to the tone too so it's obviously a compromise but I figured if I get an EUB I'd get something that I could set the action lower on and use for some soloing stuff as well as regular bass stuff. (Conflicting requirements, I know...)

4. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    so , where can you get these in the US and what's the price range?

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    You Jack Zucker the jazz guitarist that used to hang out rmmgj? Perhaps this appeals?
    Very upright sounding amplified and has a very strong acoustic personality.
    http://www.azola.com/

[​IMG]

6. rickstrong

rickstrong Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    New York City
    Hi,

I'm still looking for the 'best' EUB for me, and Alter Ego is on my short list (which also includes the Kolstein travel bass and the Azola acoustic baby bass)

I tried the Alter Ego basses out at an IAJE conference a few years ago and really liked them. As a matter of fact, I found that I was spending a lot of time at their booth, and had a hard time putting them down.

They do a good job of emulating a 'real' bass; I wonder if it would be possible to use an Alter Ego in e.g. a salsa setting (more 'punch', more volume) to good effect as well. Has anyone tried this?

Rick Strong

7. Basso Musico

Basso Musico

Mar 10, 2006
    Boston, MA USA
    Former Endorsing Artist: AlterEGO instruments
    Hey Rick,

I own an AlterEGO Acoustic Figaro 4-string (with Spirocores) and because I'm endorsing the entire line, two babyEGOs are at my house also - a 4-string (with steel strings) and a 5-string (with Velvet strings). I played the Acoustic on a salsa gig earlier this summer and had a great time. I was able to get enough punch to keep the hard core salsa cats satisfied, while warming things up a bit to keep my jazz colleagues happy too. It worked out great for me anyway.

My hunch is - and I haven't tested this personally yet but I have some anecdotes I can share with you if you PM me - that the babyEGO with steel strings will take it a step further.

Thanks,
    Rick

8. el_mariachi

el_mariachi

Mar 4, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Will salsa be your main style of music that you will be playing? If so, a baby bass (Ampeg or Ampeg copy) will be your best bet. Nothing beats the sound of a real baby bass in that setting. That said, I think if you talk to Jill Azola, they *might* still have the option of building a bass with a baby bass-like pickup system. Juan Perez has a custom mini-bass with that system, and it sounds very nice.

I'm sure with the right strings and EQ, you could get an alter ego (or nearly any EUB) to get a good thumpy tone that would work for salsa. With my ergo, if I take a piece of soft foam and position it just right under the strings near the bridge, and EQ my iAmp800 accordingly, i can get a VERY convincing baby-bass like tone.

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    NO, Salsa is not my primary focus. Actually, it'll be used in a modern jazz setting (ECM style ala Abercrombie, Bierach, etc).

10. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yep. That's me. I've heard good things about the azola basses. I have not seen the one in your posting. I'm looking for a 41.5" scale instrument and something that would allow me to switch easily between a real UB and an EUB

11. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Cool, yer a heckuva good musician....didn't know you played bass too.

My Deco is here a 34" scale so not what you're after. It's pretty much replaced the upright for me so I thought I'd run it past ya. Only thing I really miss is the inability to use the bow with it and I'm talking to the Azolas about a new instrument that addresses that issue. It won't be a popular opinion around here but when it comes to playing amplified I'm perfectly happy with a shorter scale instrument. I've done my time with 41".5 scale instruments to come to that though and I'm glad I did it that way. There are some things only the big bass can teach you.

12. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the info. How much did the azola run you? I wouldn't mind picking up a flattop acoustic bass like that...

Thanks.

13. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've had this one for over seven years....I think they start around $5K these days. I'm an archtop guy and really coming from the upright but Tacoma makes some nice flattops for around or under $1K. I've got a Takamine flattop I never play I'd part with cheap. PM me if you want.

14. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    How does this sound to you ? Brian Bromberg on BSX Allegro Acoustic

I've got one myself but I'm too much of a newb on upright to venture much of an unbiased opinion on it ... except that I'm enjoying it right now.

Brian Bromberg seems to play with a pretty low action, and the action on these BSXs is adjustable (some sort of arrangement with the neck bolts) so it might be right up your street.

15. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I used to be an endorser and play the Alter Ego, but for the past year I've been playing a new French Bass called "Volante". It's by far the closest to the sound and feel of an upright. And it completly disassembles and fits in a hard shelll golf club case. I play with jazz vocalist Patricia Barber and travel around the world with it.

16. Do you have a link for the Volante EUB, Mike?
    We could also add it to the sticky list of EUBs.

Best!
    François

17. Thanks!
    Copied into the sticky list!

18. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't read/speak french very well. Can someone tell me more info on the volante? It looks like it's got a spruce top but no body. Is that correct? How much are they? It seems that there are several non US EUBs out there that look pretty good but $3500 is a lot to pay sight-unseen for importing an instrument you've never heard...