1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best fingering AND bowing for this?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, May 8, 2018.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks guys / girls...Currently using D and G strings, but the fingering I haven't quite settled on. For the bowing, I am finding works best if I do down for tied notes, and then up / up but again not quite sure it right, at speed.

Attached Files:

2. What is the excerpt,how fast, in two or four beats?

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Hansel und Gretel, Prelude...in 2 ...and the bars after ff are the ones in question, David - thanks!

4. Thomas Allin

Thomas Allin

Dec 30, 2017
    Gothenburg
    Played this some years ago. If I remember correctly I used to land on second finger on the F in bar 4 and first finger on the B (D string) in bar 5 and everything is in one handful without string crossings on the slurs.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  5. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I understand what you mean. These transitional positions can be awkward sometimes.

I would play bar 5 and 6 like this: (all on the G string except for first note) 4 1 1 4, 3 (harmonic) 4 4 1
    Bars 7: 1 4 4 2 (all on G string and all four patterns the same)

bowing up and down all the way. Or one down two up.

6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    One other suggestion if this is a faster passage;
    Put your thumb on the B of the D string and play bars 5-8 without any shifting. Easier for intonation also.

7. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    The fingering is exactly how I did it, I just checked the scan I sent to my section. The bowing was down-up-up

8. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    OK, thanks everyone - Neil, any chance you could PM a copy of the scan for this section?

9. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    Only just spotted this - I'm at work now, and have a 2 minute turn around to get to a rehearsal tonight. I'll do it as soon as I get a chance