Best Flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pure_Intension, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Pure_Intension

Pure_Intension

Dec 8, 2008
    I searched and found a few threads about flangers but nothing really satisfying. I'm thinking about either the MXR flanger or the Electro-Harmonix XO because it also has chorus in it. Any tips?

- Cole.

2. play them (or listen to A LOT of clips) and see which sounds best for you. I'm pretty happy with my new Maxon FL9

3. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Well I will say that I do like my XO Electric Mistress alot and I do use the chorus on it alot as well. James is right though, just try different ones and find out which your ears like the most.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Best? Really depends on what you want and what your budget is. I'm not a big flanger guy, but here are my two favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The DOD can be found in the $100-$150 range but the A/DA will be a lot more expensive, though I heard a new reissue is coming.

The Boss BF-2 gets a lot of love around here, but I don't care for it.

The new EHX Electric Mistress also gets a lot of support on TB but I haven't played one myself.

5. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    I have an EHX Stereo Electric Mistress (XO) and I really like it, although it really isn't a traditional, jet plane sounding flanger. It's more metallic/cold sounding, but the chorus is good for adding warmth to it. I like it more on my guitar though, and really only use it with my bass when I'm creating feedback for its filter matrix mode. Sweet pedal though!

Matt Dean likes this.
  6. i played a ibanez DFL Flanger yesterday.... it was a very nice flanger and very versitile.

but this is the only flanger i have ever tried but i want to try more

7. The flanger that sparks the most creativity in me: EHX Stereo Electric Mistress

The flanger that I use when I want to sound like I'm using a flanger: DOD FX72 Bass Stereo Flanger

8. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    On the least expensive side, this little guy right here:

DODfx72.jpg

On the more expensive side of the spectrum, the Fulltone Choralflange, Maxon FL9, and the George Dennis Chorus/Flanger are all contenders I own and love.

I still choose the DOD, I have not found a thicker, warmer flanger for bass.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I like my George Dennis a lot, though as I said, I'm not a big flanger guy to begin with. I generally don't recommend it unless someone is looking for something warm and organic, as it is far from the cold, metallic, jet-taking-off flangers that most bass players seem to like.

As a flanger, I put it on the other side of the spectrum from the BF-2

10. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I have a BF-2 and although it is warmer than the subsequent BF-3, it is still pretty "meh."

The EHX XO Mistress -what the hell, the exact name is eluding me now...so much for getting old- was interesting, but still not my cup of tea.

The Hartman Flanger, which is based on the original Mistress sounds amazing and very organic.

11. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Agreed. I have not been able to get the George Dennis to sound "metallic" even at the highest settings and that's exactly what I love about it.

12. Depends entirely on personal tastes. I currently use a Fulltone Choral Flange on my pedal board. It does the job quite nicely, but I only use a real flange sound on a couple of tunes. I also have a late 70's vintage MXR kicking around that I keep pulling out of the tangle of cables, wires, connectors and miscellaneous electronics junk piled up on my bench. It's a little bit noisier, but it has a really sweet sound.

13. I love the flanger in my polychorus. I also have a MIJ bf2 and a bf-2b, and they are much different that the polychorus- The BF's have a lot more jet swirl to them, and more noise in general. They polychorus is very quite, and at mild settings sounds great on bass as it provides a nice bass boost with some subtle modulation going on.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i've had ehx and maxon. i liked the maxon fl-9 the best.

15. I have an MXR Flanger, which I'm really happy with. It's rather subtle on it's own but with a bit of grind it comes to life. But I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez FL9, purely because it's smaller and I want to squash an extra pedal onto my board.

Does anyone know if the Ibanez FL9 is the same as the Maxon? Whether it me an original Ibanez or a re-issue? (sorry for hijacking the thread here).

Although FWIW, I've tried the Electric Mistress and really didn't like it. It produces quite a cold, metallic tone and I'm a more warm/organic kind of guy.

Have a look in the Effects section of the WIKI before you buy.

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I like my MIJ BOSS BF-2 a lot. Not Subtle at all. You know when it's on. Clips in my Chronicle of Effects thread

17. I liked the FX72 but don't use a lot of flanger. I've also used the non-bass specific FX75(B or C; can't recall)w/good results. I'll probably scoop another one up when money allows.

18. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Inactive

Apr 30, 2005
    The Line 6 Liquaflange is a tremendously overlooked/under-appreciated box. Capable of lots of usable tones & also does through-zero. All for around $90 or less for used in "mint" shape including box and instructions. One of the most no-brainer deals around.

19. I don't like the noise of most analog flangers, which is why I found the Maxon FL9 to be the best. Not only is it the least noisy of compact stompbox flangers, I find that it offered a very wide range of sounds and was thick, warm and comby, like a flanger should be. It's a darn good flanger.

20. RC, is there much difference between the Ibanez and the Maxon?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021