1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Jan 11, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So, I was thinking maybe I would try flatwounds after having a discussion with some very nice people on here in another thread since I feel I would like the deep thumpy sound that I was told it would give (if I'm mistaken, please let me know :p), but I don't know much about bass strings, and I dont completely trust the people at my local Guitar Center to give me the kind of answer that I was hoping I could get from you guys. So, what is the best brand for flatwounds/the best set of them, preferably for under 30 dollars? I dont think I want to spend too much, since I dont have all that much.

2. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    I was looking at those, figured they'd be good since they're fender. I have a question though, if my bass isn't short scale, does that make it long scale, or is there some sort of medium, it has 20 frets I believe.

3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    If there was one best flatwound set there would be only one flatwound set

4. As a rule basses come with 34" scale length, but there are exceptions. Some basses have 35" scale lengths, some are shorter. Without knowing what kind of bass you have I honestly can't answer your question.

5. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    It's a Squier VM Jaguar Special, I believe it is 34" from what you said, but i want to be completely sure so I dont get the wrong size strings. If you could help, that'd be great, if not, oh well :p

6. beefandbones

beefandbones

Aug 14, 2008
    Seattle
    I like Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats because they have a supple feel, sound fantastic, and last forever, although they're a bit expensive at $50-60 for a set (but worth it imho). I live in a fairly large city and I have to order them online. My favorite 'less expensive' string is D'Addario XL Chromes, which run about $25 or so, and you can find those just about anywhere. LaBellas are good too. Never liked Fender flats, myself, because they felt like steel cables under my fingers, and the sound was... not bad.. but I just didn't like the way they felt. By the way, I encourage you to try flats - they're not for everyone, but once I tried them, I loved them, and now they're all I use.

If you have a tape measurer, you can measure the length from the metal bridge to the nut - that's the scale.

7. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Yeah, I had heard great things about flats, and I have been trying to discover my style, and I just love that feel of a nice thumpy, funky sort of bassline. And then there was Flea *drops to the ground and bows down repeatedly*

8. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    If you're experimenting with flats, you've GOT to include
    D'Addario Chromes - They're the best bang for the buck by far
    IMHO.

Silky smooth - great sound - long lasting and lots of tone.
    Plus you can get them in regular or light guage, both of which
    I use on different basses. (regular 45-105 on my P Bass and
    Lights on my Jazz Bass)

You might also check out this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/first-set-flats-829523/index3.html

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

9. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    My vote goes to GHS precision flats. Absolutely magic on a Fender.

10. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    ditto. if you can find a deal try the TI jazz flats. if not chromes are nice too.

11. TI's are great - my personal favorites. But they are expensive. I also like LaBella flats...they would be my #2 choice and if you don't mind higher tension strings, RotoSound 66 Monel Flats are very cool...

12. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    GHS Prescision Flatwound

13. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Try a set of DR Flatwounds. They are unreal to play on and last forever.
    I also like TI flats, although I find the longscale gauge a little light personally.

14. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    sadowsky....very smooth and the tension isn't much more than a standard round. Kinda of a modern sounding flat with a bit of flatwound thump.

GC do not stock much of a selection of flats so I wouldn't ask them either. Buy online for best selection and prices.

15. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
  16. GHS Precision flats. And are within your budget.

17. According to the Squier website, your Jaguar has a 34" scale length, which is pretty much the standard for a Fender-style bass. So now that you know that, you can shop for strings accordingly.

18. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Spend the extra $ for the TI Jazz Flats. They are the 'best flatwounds'. No joke.

19. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Near Tinseltown
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    I love La Bella 760FS's They sound big, full and are really smooth. The tension is Medium. I'm a big fan of these strings and have been playing live and recording with them for the better part of the last 50 years. I have on occasion tried other brands but always come back to these.

Giorgetto