1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best gold plated strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FinlessPorpoise, Aug 15, 2012.

1. FinlessPorpoise

FinlessPorpoise

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hi everyone! I finally have the Internet again so I'm having great fun catching up on everything here!
    I've been wanting to put gold strings on my 4004cii for ages, but I want them to be round wounds and great sounding, and hopefully the kind that will last a while.
    I have no idea what's on there at the moment, probably just Ernie balls or something similar.
    Can anyone reccomend some and let me know where I can get them (Internet would be best as I don't think many stores here would stock them).
    Do you think that they are worth the extra cost?
    Thanks so much.

2. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    No they're definitely not worth it.

3. bassyogi

bassyogi

Jul 23, 2012
    Sardis Ohio
    Aurora has gold colored strings. I think their site is stringsbyaurora.com. Around $36 I think

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    For electric...

D'Addario has EXP Reds which are copper plated steel and EXP coated.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Only known of one company to even try gold plated strings. Dont remember their name. They bombed. Too expenswive and nothing to write home about tone wise. Gold is a very soft metal.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    (gold is also not magnetic)...

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Dean Markley made a set of gold stainless rounds called Alchemy. I don't think they're still in production, but I believe I have an unopened 4-string set of them if you're interested.