1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Modern Makers

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 23, 2011.

1. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Oct 10, 2011
    Hi folks.
    I have recently decided to sell my Christopher bass and upgrade to something significantly better. I am not entirely sure if I want a new or an old bass, but at this point I am willing to consider anything. I want a bass that works for both orchestral and solo playing, since I will be auditioning for conservatories like Curtis and Rice in spring of 2013. What modern makers would you recommend? I should also add that my price limit is 15K.
    Thank you for your help.
    Marty

2. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed

Oct 10, 2011
    Thanks for the link. I've been going through that thread and I am finding the information very helpful. Thank you for your help!

3. mattwallace

mattwallace

Nov 20, 2007
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz, NS Design, D'addario, Peterson Tuners
    Wayne Holmes with Holmes bass violins in TN is making basses now. 7/8 size. POWERFUL sounding basses. he is actually building me one now. They are heavy construction, built like a rock but sounds clear and powerful. you ought to look into them! He uses very nicely aged wood with all preium parts.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    With a budget of $15k, I'd consider Upton's offerings very seriously.

5. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    +1

6. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    You could actually get a Luciano Golia bass in that price range. I have one . It's one of my favorite basses I've owned and I've owned many high end basses in the past 30 years---old and new. His basses are competitive with the best out there and at a much lower price point.