1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best muff(clone) for death/doom?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Apr 14, 2014.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Super saturated (more) mid forward grime- looking at faster runs with some definition(within a fuzz context..) heavy but with a less wooly attack?
    Musket?
    Tall font Russian?
    Other?

2. Sounds like the maybe the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B might be suited to you.

3. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Would a blue beard fit in here?

4. Pastrami

Pastrami

Feb 21, 2014
    New York, NY
    The Bluebeard is slow and heavy, also I wouldn't call it mid forward.

I second the Pickle Pie B suggestion, I never should've sold that pedal.

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I own the musket and ppb. it depends on the bass I use for my fuzz choice. the musket loves passive basses. the musket gets along with my stingray but the ppb is better...

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Musket would be my choice. I've owned a lot of Muffs and it's the only one that I still have.

For the tone you described, have you considered a distortion instead? Something rat based? Or for pure awesomeness the Brimstone XD-1? Its a little spendy and large, but you get a really versatile pedal that can do a lot of different things and do them very well.

7. A TFR has ended my search for fuzz (for now...) but it's not at all "mid-forward." Maybe a Brassmaster type is what you want. Like B:Assmaster, Diabolik, Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz etc.

8. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Don't forget the Eau Claire Thunder. I thought it was much heavier and more flexible than the TFR. The TFR does the muff sound brilliantly, but doesn't offer much more in terms of flexibility. The ECT covers a lot of ground and can get amazingly loud.

9. You should check out the Fuzzrocious stuff! Sounds like a Grey Stache or a Rat Tail would be great for what you're looking for.

10. Earthbound Audio Supercollider. Nastiest muff I've had the pleasure of crushing peoples' heads with.