1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Online Bass Instruction

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ChuckRth59, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ChuckRth59

ChuckRth59

Oct 22, 2013
    Monument, CO
    I have been playing bass for around 9 years or so, and I currently play in my church worship band. I have never had any formal instruction (lessons, etc.) and have only read various bass music books to help me to get where I am now. I am feeling a sense of frustration in that while I can easily play to chord charts as is the case currently, I really have no idea of where the music is going without the benefit of those charts. Is there any suggested online training that will explain things so I can clearly understand why and how the music is put together? I have looked at TMBG and while it is good instruction, and provides a lot of theory, I just don't seem to be able to get the answers I am looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    This remark would suggest that a good teacher would be the best way to proceed. Learning from books and the internet is OK to a point, but you cant beat one to one lessons.

As for the TMBG, AFAIK there is a kind of back up forum open to all who purchase the DVD's. This allows people to ask particular questions.

Perhaps the good people here on TB could answer some of your questions if you'd like to ask ?

3. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    +1

this sounds like a job for a real person, whether in person or via skype

4. ChuckRth59

ChuckRth59

Oct 22, 2013
    Monument, CO
    Thanks for the reply. I do feel that you are right in that I should get a live instructor to help me with those questions.

5. javadog

javadog

Mar 13, 2010
    I looked on the map-surely there is someone in Denver or Colorado springs who could bring you up to speed on theory,
    chord progressions, that sort of thing. Look to see if there is
    a music school with a full time bass instructor. You can check out craigslist and might get lucky and find somebody good--but beware of someone who says they give lessons on a big long list of instruments--the tuba, accordion, cello, guitar, flugelhorn, etc.

6. LeeBanks73

LeeBanks73

Oct 29, 2013
    Partner/Instructor at www.riffacademy.com
    It can be just as tricky finding a good bass instructor in real life as it is on the internet. Though, not impossible in either case. Online would definitely be cheaper. A lot cheaper! With online there are also the added benefits of taking the lessons on your time, no driving and watching the lesson(s) as many times as you need. Finding one with a structured educational trajectory is key with either way you decide to go, though. I hope this helped!

7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    for Internet lessons I like the "Scott's Bass Lessons" on YouTube.

8. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    I think Roy's TMBG combined with the three volume Hal Leonard Bass Method by Ed Friedland is a very potent combination. If you master everything contained in those two curriculums and still feel deficient, then a private instructor would be my next move.

9. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Do you actually HAVE the TMBG or have you just "looked" at it somewhere? If you start this program from scratch, it is an amazing instructional tool. There is plenty of opportunity for support if you have questions while using the program. Roy Vogt himself has answered my questions. I like it so much I quit my lessons with the local guy & saved $. In addition, I am also plugging along on the Hal Leonard books.

Prior to this, I was mostly learning random scales and tabs to favorite songs. Nothing made sense. I realize now that it's because I was lacking the foundation.

I highly recommend TMBG. I love the loop library that enables you to practice what you learn. Can't say enough.

10. ea423

ea423

Oct 24, 2013
    What is TMBG? Pardon my ignorance. I'd like to look into that.

11. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Teach Me Bass Guitar by (TB member) Roy Vogt

12. ea423

ea423

Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks!

13. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    +1

These are great if you want to expand your knowledge as opposed to doing 'Bass 101'

14. ChuckRth59

ChuckRth59

Oct 22, 2013
    Monument, CO
    I actually did go ahead and buy the TMBG series. I had it once before, but did not realize the benefit of following through with all 20 lessons. I am able to play off charts in church, but I feel that in order to be able to play better, I really need to understand theory. I am giving this my best effort and I am confident that I will improve. Thanks for your input!

15. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Thanks for giving us a chance! You can email me with questions here or via TMBG's Thunder Row and I'll try to answer. I'm pretty busy so it may take a couple of days, but I would be glad to help if I can.

16. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    If I may add, Norm Stockton's website artofgroove is a really nice resource.

progrmr likes this.
  17. I would suggest few targeted lessons with a good teacher.