1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best performance Headphones for bassists

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dslapster64, Nov 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dslapster64

dslapster64

Feb 5, 2009
    Can anyone recommend the best over the ear headphones for recording/performance for bassists? Of course, looking for the best bang for the buck.

2. Sony MDR-7506 headphones are about $80 and are pretty much the Pro standard. They have a consistent, detailed, studio-style response. Different frequency ranges are clearly audible, and if there are any hiss, compression, hum, or clipping issues in your setup, you’re going to hear them.

3. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Usual suspects are the Sennheiser 280, Sony 7506 and AKG 240.

4. dslapster64

dslapster64

Feb 5, 2009
    Excellent
    Thanks a lot

5. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    For what it's worth - I have both the Sony's and the AKG's and much prefer the Sony's sonically . The AKG's do seem a tad lighter to wear for long periods than the Sony's but that's the only advantage I found to using them ... Kelly

6. dslapster64

dslapster64

Feb 5, 2009
    Which has the best low frequency?

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have the AKGs and love them, haven't tried the Sony though.

8. dslapster64

dslapster64

Feb 5, 2009
    Well thanks I’m going to try out the Sonys

9. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    Also check out the Audio-Technica M40's or better yet, the M50's. Very high quality, rugged, and you can wear them for long sessions.

Lee Moses likes this.
  10. Another vote for the Sony 7506"s. I wouldn't consider them bass heavy if that's what you are looking for, but are very well balanced. Definitely a great back for your buck..

Nick Danger and Artman like this.
  11. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Just get GOOD headphones. All good headphones handle bass well. I prefer the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
    If you keep asking for the ones with the most bass, you'll risk spending too much on hack marketing garbage like Beats or Bose.

aldaa, Lee Moses and Gearhead17 like this.
  12. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    I like the Sony MDR V600. So much that I bought 2 of 'em. About $99.00 each.

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I know that the general consensus is that the ATH-M50 are better than the M40, but if you change the pads on the M40 the response is much more even over all frequencies than the M50. The M50 is a little heavy in the bass spectrum to be considered neutral.

However, lots of people like having more bass.

14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    BeyerDynamic 770’s.

mwbonsall, Element Zero and kkenda11 like this.
  15. kalanb

kalanb

Dec 17, 2012
    I have the audio technical m40x. I liked them more than the m50, which actually had more bass. The reason is that the extra bass was on the low low end and made it harder to pick out bass lines.

16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
  17. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I have audio-technica ATH-M40x. No complaints for recording, mixing and silent practice. $120-$150 range

18. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Samson SR850 if you’re on a budget....fine headphones to my ears.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  19. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I love my Sony MDR-7506 headphones. That being said, if you are near a Guitar Center, they have a dozen or so popular models on display from Sony, Yamaha, Shure, Beyerdynamic, etc.