1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best portable all aroung Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thebluesman666, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Hey guys I could use your help to orient me toward the best buy possible.

I looking for a Bass Cab that is lightweight and portable (35 to 40lbs) that would be versatile enough to cover many styles of music.

I'm using a Fender Jazz Bass (passive), I play Blues, Funk, Rock, Country and Jazz music.

What the best speaker configuration 1X15, 2x10, 4x10 ?

Thanks for your Help.

2. There is no best. Go play a buncha stuff.

3. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I'm a RevSound fanboy - two cabs that I'd look at are the 210 (I own one) and the 212. Both well under 40 #.

Bass Cabinets | RevSound

TemplesOfSyrinx, Guitarodeo and REV like this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    4 x 10 is probably the least portable format, if that helps.

5. What amp are you using? What is your price range? You really haven't given us much to work with.

6. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Berg HDN 212....:bassist:

You're welcome:D

Just wanted to add, they are a bit expensive, but are a great VALUE.
    Extremely well engineered, built, and backed by a great company (Jim).

quindecima, ELG60 and Zbysek like this.
  7. @CL400Peavey I'm in the market sor a Bass head as well. Looking into very portable SS head such as Mark Bass, Quilter.

8. There are lots of portable amps out there. Imho markbass makes a sterile sounding amp.

SactoBass and Thebluesman666 like this.
  9. I've been listening to a few YT videos and I know it's not the way to go.

I seem to enjoy the Gallien Krueger GK MB150S and EBS Reidmar series seems pretty awesome too.

I'll definetly have to stop by my local music store and try a few amps out. I just don't have any experience with Bass amp ... jeeeesss :p

10. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Neo 2x12 is the correct answer.

11. @birminghambass Hey did you mean a 2x12 Cabinet loaded with neodymium magnet speakers ?

dkelley likes this.
  12. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Do you mean just a cab? what amp do you have? How much volume do you need? While I don't subscribe to the belief that speaker size makes no difference, there are other factors that are every bit as important for the sound, so I fear that its difficult to automatically eliminate cabs on the basis of config. Sealed or ported, for instance, is a huge difference.

13. @JimChjones
    Hey Jim these are all question I'll have to find answer to, my goal is to gig in small to medium venues such as clubs and bars.
    I don't have any knowledge as if a 250W amp will be enough to push the air need to be present and be hear in the room.
    Would you say a ported cab is similar to an open back guitar cab and sealed to a close back cab. Ported will be more dimensional and sealed will be more directional.

I'm currently using a Line 6 Helix (modeler) and a FRFR speaker EV112p.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  14. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I do. Owned a million cabs, the "do everything" cabs that worked for rock, metal, country, and even church were 2x12s. Tons to choose from.

15. LenMinNJ

LenMinNJ

Dec 22, 2010
    1x12 with high frequency driver

Aguilar GS 112

I use one for rehearsals and small venue gigs. Two for large venues.

For really small rooms or studios I use an Eden EX110. It's not as flat a frequency response as the Aguilars, but it does the job.

To drive them I use two different heads: a TC Electronic BH250 for one cabinet, and a BH800 for two.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    WillieB, downunder and Ken Morgan like this.
  16. I'm old-school and have funny ears, so I don't like 4-10's (the technically adept will apply the right technical term to this, but I hear all sorts of filtering standing in front of one). 2-10's aren't as bad for me, but I far prefer a single driver cab (though most have some sort of high-end driver / tweeter), so for me, it's a solid single 15 all day long. Mesa's Subway 15 would be just the ticket for me. Requires a bit more care with high power (all the power is going to one driver, instead of being distributed to a set of drivers), but still my fave, and if I got to, I'd stack a pair, but I'd rather stay with a single and let the FOH do the heavy lifting.

17. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    It depends... If you're competing with a drummer who's determined to be heard in the next city and guitar players with 100W amps and 4*12s then no, but personally I don't suppose any of my amps has ever delivered more than a few tens of watts into a single 15in driver.
    Also worth noting that speaker area makes more difference than amp power.

Not in the least I'm afraid. Ported tends to give you an extended bottom end, but with a bit of a tendency to be a bit more "boomy" if you're not careful/if its badly designed.

18. It weighs 54lbs but is compact enough to be transported relatively easily by a 57 year old 5'9" sedentary male (me) and is by far the best small cab I've owned; the Bergantino HD210. I own two but one on its own is amazingly capable of deep lows, solid mids and high notes at volumes it's hard to believe from a 210.

19. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    I have a Epifani 310. Powerful yet soooo light at 45lbs. I carry it with one hand. PM me if you want to try it. I’m in Blainville and go to Montreal on a regular basis. Might be interested in selling it.

Thebluesman666 likes this.
  20. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    How many watts do you need? I heard Ampeg Portaflexes are great cabs, not terribly heavy and expensive either. :thumbsup:

NoSlapForYou and Zbysek like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021