Best PUP's for a Yamaha BB404?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bmaker, Oct 1, 2005.

1. bmaker

Sep 25, 2005
    HD Country
    I'm on the fence as to what to choose. The bass is a Jazz/passive style but there are so many choices! I am looking for a deep warm tone. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
  2. Deep, warm tone - according to other TB users, Bartolini is known for warm tones. And according to the Bartolini catalogue, they make pickups with "deeper" tone characteristics.

Therefore the Bartolini 9CBJD dual in-line jazz pickups with an NTBT or NTMB preamp will probably lend itself towards this end.

It will depend on how much you want to spend and the level of mods you are prepared to do to the body to achieve your aim. You'll need to ensure the pickup routs, control cavity and cover is large enough for intended purposes. Unless you are experienced with a router etc., I'd be inclined to get it done properly by a professional luthier.

Then again, in Yamaha basses, my experience with Bartolini electronics has been with P2 and P4 dual, triple and quad coils along with Bart NTMB 5 knob preamp.

This setup installed in my Yamaha TRB series 5 and 6 string basses was very warm and deep compared to the original electronics and in fact was a bit too warm and deep for my liking. So I went back to the original Yamaha pickups with a modified Bart NTMB preamp because I liked the slap sounds and bite of the original setup without the hiss inherent in these models. This worked extremely well for me but involved a tech building a buffer circuit in between the pickups and the preamp for optimum matching.

I believe the best Bartolini dealer in town is Brian from He sells excellent stuff at the best prices and offers good advice to fellow bass players looking for different setups based on the products he sells. I'd talked to him and see what he says. Be warned though - certain Bartolini products can take a long time to come through from the factory (if ever) however the common stuff such as 4 and 5 string Jazz pickups should be readily available from stock.

Ozzie :hyper:
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Dimarzio Model J's (DP123) in mine. Perfect drop-in fit, known for exactly the type of tone you speak of (see the J-bass pickup shootout in the Pickups FAQ).

Reasonably priced (under $100 US) to boot.
  4. bmaker

Sep 25, 2005
    HD Country
    Thanks for the info! As ozzieboof said, it really depends on how much I want to spend on a budget bass. I probably have a year left on this baby and the new one will be on order. I will check them both out. Thanks again! :)