1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best quality gut strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Apr 16, 2010.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I currently have a full set of all plain Lenzner guts on my bass that have been on for 4 years. They play nice but I'm just looking for a better quality of all plain gut string.. anyone know where I should start to look?

2. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    Gamut strings are very popular in Talkbass Forum. Pirastro Chorda too.
    I have Labella red label right ow on my bass, Nylon wound on gut and I like them a lot, similar to the KAplan Golden Spiral wich are discontinued.

3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I found the Clef mixed set from Upton (not shilling for Upton, just haven't seen Clefs anywhere else) to be good sounding, well-made strings for the money. Gamuts are definitely a superior string in both sound and construction, but one would expect that to be the case at twice the price.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    where can I get Gamut strings? I've tried the clef guts and they are about the same as the Lenzners

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
  6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
  7. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    That's good to know-I have no experience w/ Lenzners.

8. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I had originally planned on ordering a Lt+ G and Lt for the other three, but after discussing it with Dan Larson, I decided to go for all four in the Lt+ gauge. They're working out great, both pizz and arco.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I hear ya. Lots of choices there. The double bass strings are in the "violin family" section of the string store.

10. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

Jan 21, 2007
    Gamut strings are great but they do not make a plain gut E that I am aware of. I don't think any of the high quality makers do a full plain set.

11. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    IMO, unless you're a total rockabilly slapper or way up into early music and using a baroque or Dragonetti bow, plain A and E are impractical, the E especially so.

12. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

Jan 21, 2007
    I agree, but the OP asked specifically about "all plain gut"

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been playing all plain guts for five years. I did notice that they didnt offer a plain E which kind of bums me out alittle.

14. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    It's a specialty slapper thing man, so Gamut doesn't make one. I have asked him, and bugged him about it again the other day.

All the Euro string makers make plain E strings, so the Slap Bass/Roots/traditional music market is big enough worldwide to support the demand.

The best "regular" plain E I played was the Efrano one. Not a huge diff from any of the others, but a bit more tension and slightly smaller diameter (I know, seems backwards). Little bit better actual tone versus thud.

The other thing about plain E&A strings is that they take months to fully stretch, & fully play in and develop the tone they will produce. Once I get a set on a bass, I don't wanna take them off until they are worn out - cause with new ones, you start all over again.

I have a Gamut Pistoy A string and Gamut Lyon D&G on my bass now, and they are ****ing incredible. Gamuts are the best gut strings I have played, not counting NOS Artones - IMO, and I have tried ALOT of gut strings. Far too many actually. :)

The Pistoy A string has more midrange clarity than any other plain A out there - so I would think a Pistoy E would share those attributes, and it really would matter to alot of slap bass players enough to cough up that kind of dough (or maybe I am crazy, which is totally possible). The Pistoy A is about $200 - so the E would be hurtfull. My Gamut Pistoy A string is on loan from another TBer, who is a damn fine gentlemen from Montana. (thanks Bob!!)

It's the plain E that will always be the weak link, so I am using a Garbo Light E at the moment - but am gonna probably go back to all plains soon which will mean an inferior E vrs the ADG, boo. My country band is mostly slap and I just miss that all plain slap setup. It amplifies so well also - little EQ needed. While metal or nylon E&As always have that harsh click and "boing" to them when you slap. I end up having to EQ some of that out. It's a vicious cycle.

If Gamut would make a plain E - there would be alot of slappers saving up their gig money for one, after the word got around about their quality. Including me. Good gut strings last for years, sometimes many years, so the cost isn't as crazy as it sounds.

If you want another slap-friendly but pricey option for an E string - the Pirastro Olive E is a popular choice I have used and liked.

15. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

Jan 21, 2007
    You could call Dan at Gamut strings - he's a really nice guy. Maybe he would make you a custom plain E. I could only imagine what that would cost though, since a plain A is $216 !

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll give Dan I call.

17. I am glad you are having fun with the plain Pistoy A GearHead :D . I loved it when I had it on my Kay .... It's A Bear to play quickly but it is OK if you cooperate with it, don't overplay it, and hit it a-little-ahead of the beat you want. I bought it used from Jason Sypher 1.5 years ago and I believe that string will outlast most people's cars :p . I think it is indestructible ... But don't test my theory too much. Pass it around .... It seems to get better with age and it likes to be played.

As far as the plain Pistoy E string goes .... I had e-mails back and forth with Gamut Dan 1.5 years ago because I was real-close to ordering one. He told me he made a couple of them in the past but then a couple Folks weren't thrilled with them so he became cautious.

I think he told me at the time that a plain "light" ;) Pistoy E would go for around 3 and a quarter hundred dollars (a plain A is $215).

IMO .... Just guessing here .... The Folks that weren't thrilled with the plain E probably did not have their bass set-up right, didn't know what kind of snake they were wrestling with, and couldn't figure out how to play The Big Rope ;) .

Gamut Dan is probably reticent to kill that many sheep, go to a lot of effort to make a nice string, sell it for Big Money, and then have someone complain. It's not-like he wants to buy it back if someone thinks it sucks :p .

18. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Yeah, I could see that. If you aren't used to playing big fat plain guts, it can be hard to pull a good note out of them. It takes a special touch, and not too much force.

$325 is a stiff price. :crying:

I love the Pistoy A and am used to playing on plain guts, so she's singing for me - I am gonna give this A string a good run-in Bob - you just holler when it's time to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :D

(By the way, PM me - I can send you your D&G back, ain't using them because I already have the settled-in Lyons on my bass)

19. Good Deal Gear .... I am so-happy that a True-Cona-Sewer of plain gut A's can appreciate the plain Gamut A :D . Run It In. It really is a great string IMO ... Wanna buy it before I have to Kill You and pry it out of your slightly-warm hands ;):p??

Crud .... OK ..... I will send you a PM .... I was hoping you would try-out the Pistoys G & D and report back to Civilization .... Your take on Lyons versus Pistoys .... But I know that changing strings sucks. Especially if you subscribe to my GrandPa's Best Theory Ever .... "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" :D !

20. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'm glad the plain A and E work for you guys-I meant no offense. For me, using one bass for everything from Western Swing and Honkytonk to orchestra and chamber music means wound bottom strings.