Best Single 15 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foderaman, Oct 23, 2005.

1. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    I have not had any 15 cabs since I have started playing in the 70's and have been thinking about trying a single 15 cab as a stand alone or to use in conjunction with either a Tri112 Accugroove cab or a Tri210 Accugroove cab.I would prefer one of the UL cabs like a Epifani or a Bergantino.If anyone can give me any input on either of these cabs or any other maybe it may make my job of selecting one a little easier!
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had never heard a 115 that I liked, especially as a stand alone cab, untill I played through the Bergantino HT115. It's a work of art.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I love the Eden D-115XLT. Huge output, deep but balanced sound. Great rock cab. The D-115T is actually also very nice, with a slightly sweeter sound but less output and bass. Another great one (though it cheats by using a 10" as a mid driver) is the SWR Triad.

I do have a bergantino HT-115 on the way to try out though :D If what y'all say about it is true I think I'm going to be very happy.
  4. I could not really enjoy any 15" cab off the market until I made one myself but only after few were made. It has one Eminence CapaPro with Fostex Egle 1.25" HF and the box is a bit shallow too make it more punchy and less bottom.
    I am not sure if this is the sound that you would like to have but I think it a good stand-alone compare to those who has a big bottom. I realized that Capa is giving more bottom than CapaPro but I like it this way. (Ithink CapaPro is for PA)
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The Berg is great. I had to sell mine, as I hadn't eaten in a month. I have tried Genz Benz and Bag End recently. Either can be found used relatively cheap. Both sounded very good. The GB had more mids, thus more perceived "tone" while the Bag End had tremendous lows.

I don't think you can ever go wrong with Bergantino. Any Berg cab I have heard has so far been the best of its type I've heard. From 112 to 610, to the oddball rare cab that may pop up used, anything with that logo on it has always impressed me.
  6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Pickles and Fealach - you are discussing the exact same cabinet. I bought it from Fealach and recently sold it to Pickles. I didn't keep if very long because it just wasn't loud enough for the higher-volume situation I'm in now but the tone is golden. I thought it much smoother and better balanced than any other cabinet I've ever owned (and there have been quite a few) :oops:
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats funny ... so what cab are you switching to for more volume? What is the sensitivity and -3db point on the HT115 anyway? They don't have the specs up on the website anymore. I know it'll have less output and lows than the Eden, since it has a simmilar driver in a smaller box, but the 115XLT was actually overkill for most gigs anyway. That cabinet roars.
  8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm getting a Dr. Bass BL115 soon as a standalone, I'll be sure to post a review or something somewhere ambiguous.
  9. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am a huge fan of SWR 1x15's. The WM cab is the best for the money, IMO. Responsive, relatively light, punchy and tight tone.
  10. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned bag end yet.

I think with all the talk about those cabs from way back when should boost some of their rep.

Not to mention they are all fairly compact.
  11. For their size, the Bag End S15d is hard to beat IMO.
  12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    The best 15? Bag End S15B-D, the big brother to the S15D!

A real good 15 that's easy to handle? The Berg HT115!
  13. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Someone here uses a pair of Flite (sp?) 15's and he swears by them.

Is the bergantino still in production?
  14. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I use a pair of Flites and I love 'em for their size and weight, but I wouldn't swear they are the best.
    The Berg is no longer made.
  15. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have two BagEnd S15B-D's, and they sound tremendous to me.

To be fair, I have never heard a Berg. No one within 100 miles carries them.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    The only 15" cab I'd ever consider is the one I owned through the 90s... BagEnd S15. Mine was a 13ply Birch cube that I put a set of regular BagEnd interlocking corners on. I put a lot of hours on it... and it never complained. I used it alone or with a BagEnd S12.
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Berg HT115. sweet, small, clean and focused. I like its low end which is less subsonic and punchy compared to the equally sized HT210, both discontinued.
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a custom Dr. Bass 1x15 which is very good, but my favorite 1x15 is also the HT115. In fact, it's one of my favorite cabs of any configuration.

19. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Bag end S-15D is killer as a stand alone or in pairs. Fast, punchy, enough lows, lightweight, cheap- what else could you want?
  20. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Glockenklang uno or Berg HT115. Super clear. Nice highs with big bottom but not muddy