1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Strings for Fender American Deluxe jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DirtyDuke, Oct 13, 2013.

1. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I have a new white blonde American Deluxe Jazz. I am having some trouble finding a set of strings to match the bass and my style.

I am a fairly aggresive finger style player and use Ernie Ball Slinkys on my Stingray and Fender Hot Rod. I tried the fender strings the deluxe came with and a set of black beauties. The fenders were very clanky and the black beauties are very boomy.

I used half wounds on an older deluxe but only used that bass for a couple of songs. I plan on this being my main instrument. It feels and plays amazingly but I am struggling with the sound.

What do you guys use? Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    Sounds like you bought the exact bass I'm looking to purchase so I'll be interested in the responses you get. I currently own a Mexi deluxe and had the same dilema. Have tried fender strings on other basses but didn't care for them. Used slinkys on other basses with some success. I put a set of DR Sunbeams on my bass with pretty good results. What I like is the low tension and warm sound. What I don't like is the windings on the e and a strings are a bit coarse and my d and g strings sound a bit thin even with the bass boosted a bit. I have 3 sets of DR strings laying around that I plan on trying when the sunbeams die, Marcus Miller fat beams, Low rider nickel wound and low rider stainless. Been itching to try all of them but don't have the time to swap them out. I play aggressive finger style with a fair amount of low end. I always have to crank the bass on my guitar quite a bit, was wondering if you find the same thing. Very anxious to see how much different soundwise the American and mexi are.

3. I have used Ernie Ball strings on my American Deluxe Jazz in the past but thought they died too quickly. I have used Chromes and liked them a lot, but recently decided that I needed some of the overtones only found in rounds.

I recently put on a set of GHS Pressurewounds and they sound amazing on this bass! Not too clangy / bright, but nice and growly. Basically a slightly flattened roundwound string. Check them out!

4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    The American deluxe is a dream to play and I love the sound, I just struggle with some boom. I have an Eden WT800 and a 15 band eq, and pro effects. The main issue may be with the action and how aggressive I play at times. I am trying a set of rotosounds and raising the action some.

I have had a friend play as I adjusted the eq and effects etc and the sound is exactly what I have been looking for.

It has also been suggested that I lower the pickups a bit as that may be the issue.

I think maybe I should go back to my Slinkys and deal with the clank by eqing.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned SUSPENDED

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I'm afraid that with a question like this, you're going to get so many different answers that it will make your decision harder not easier.

That said, I'm with obsidianbass in the pressure wound club. I haven't tried the GHS Boomers Pressure Wound, but I imagine they probably sound much like the DR Nickel Lo-Riders I just put on my bass. They're also pressure wound strings, and they sound amazing! They were a tad on the bright side for a few days, and now that they've settled in, they have that classic Fender "growl". I absolutely love them!

6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I use infelds on mine...because of that clankyness they are higher tension hex core. they sound amazing with fingers pretty good with pick but not that good to slap. they are warm very full a little pianoy full. booming lows great mids good highs.
    my action is like almost against the fretboard on my deluxe and I only get a little clank with these strings....If I raised the action a hair I would get no clank. now I dont have a vid with my deluxe in it but this bass also has infeld superalloy strings and this is what they sound like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GFUhCy5qMI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn30rT3hT4c

I will make a vid with my delue if you want to hear them on it.

7. clcotro

clcotro

Mar 17, 2011
    Hawthorne (CA)
    Sfarzo strings, this is the heaven !!!