1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best strings for fingerstyle on jazz bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joshuadriller, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    I'm interested to here what strings
    you guys like best on a jazz bass. I currently play super slinkys, but i'm wanting to try something else.
    Thanks!

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Fingerstyle what?

There are a ton of different options for Fingerstyle. What kind of tone would you like to achieve?

3. fitani

fitani

Jul 18, 2009
    DR Fat Beams or GHS precision Flats ...

4. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I make this transition from time to time just
    for a change.

I went from Super Slinkys (.45 - 1.00) to
    D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds - Regular Light Guage (.45 - 1.00)

The Chromes are the same guage as the Slinkys (which I like, personally) Since I play with very low action and a light touch the Slinkys last for me. A lot of people don't seem to like them but I do.

When I put on the Chromes, they had a little more tension than the Slinkys and I was able to lower my action even further with
    no fret buzz, which was an added benefit.

The additional tension was very acceptable and not severe at all. Easy to adapt to. And my Jazz bass has a more vintage
    sound with the smooth-as-silk Chromes. I even added a narrow
    slab of 1/2" Latex Foam at the bridge for a mute and the vibe is fantastic.

The super light touch of the lowered action feels magical.
    I barely have to touch the strings and they're THERE!
    Great stuff.

I highly recommend the light Chromes for this switch.

:hyper::bassist::hyper:

5. zacwbass

zacwbass

Jul 13, 2010
    In rounds I prefer DR Low Riders. Nice balanced tone on the Jazz with some real chime on the note if you give 'em a whack. In flats possibly D'Addario chromes, mind you I've yet to find a set of flats that get the most outta my Jazz

6. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    I'm mostly looking for roundwounds. I've played flat wounds before, they aren't really my style.. I need more tone than they have to offer

7. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    +1 to that, Jason! "Fingerstyle" can encompass eveything from the old Motown-style thump to Rocco Prestia's trademerk "fingerstyle funk". There's a huge difference between the two styles (and many styles in-between) ... and the desired tone that one would desire when playing the different styles will certainly be different, too!

8. What are the best strings for metal? :bag:

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    What strings were you using before? What did you like about them / what didn't you like about them?

That will give a better idea of what strings to point you to rather than suggest one of the other hundreds of other strings that can be used for "finger style."

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i love them medium Dunlop nickles,...

ALOT!!!

i was raised on Roto's 'til i started looking around. (i don't miss the Roto's so far)

11. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I've been happy with D'Addario EXL170 Nickel rounds which are light gauge and relatively low tension. I also prefer the nickel sound over that of stainless steel, though a couple of years ago that wouldn't have been the case. Your mileage may vary.

12. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    Ummm let's see.. Right now I play superslinkys, there isn't anything I dislike about them.. I just want to see what else is out there. I play very aggressively (like Tim commerford from RATM or geddy lee). I like to play different styles of music, but mostly rock, aggressive rock, alternative.. Stuff like that.

13. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I had really good luck with GHS Bass Boomers for a long
    time playing aggressive rock and with a hard pick. They're a
    long lasting string with great tone and growl. They also
    make a Flea signature set that I like the same.

These are nickel roundwounds and were my main strings
    for years.

:bassist:

14. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Used to use D'addario XL's 45-100 on a jazz for the longest time, occasionally switching to DR sunbeams once and a while. For a little over a year I used Chromes in the same gauge, sometimes trying a different set of flats or different gauge chromes but the 45-100 set won out. (The chromes were also my favorite sound with a pick on my jazz). Since right after x-mas I have been really digging a set of DR Lo-Riders (stainless) and it is the first time I have liked rounds in a while. A wonderful finger-style sound if you ask me. I don't have any recordings with these strings on my jazz bass but the soundcloud in my sig. is my jazz with chromes, finger-style, and mostly on the neck pickup.

15. FWIW I've played Jazz Basses for years and never used flats on them after 1970. To me a Jazz Bass livens up more with rounds. Recently I restrung my Jazz Bass with GHS Pressure Wounds and I love them.

They very good right out of the package. No waiting for that zing you get with new rounds to tone itself down. They still have a lot of clarity but without the over brightness of some rounds I've played.

After talking with Jason (SLaPiNFuNK) of bassstringsonline.com and describing what I was looking for these are what he suggested and he was right on target. I get a lot of tonal variation from them and while they're a mellower string they aren't at all muddy when played fingerstyle yet they can be very punchy with a lot of harmonics when played with a pick.

Truly the best sounding strings I've ever played on a Jazz Bass. For a PBass I use flats but on a Jazz these PWounds are just a nice segway between a flat and a round.

16. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    I guess the only thing I don't like about the superslinkys is the floppy tension. if I could find something that sounded the same and has tighter tension, That's what I would play.

17. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Super Slinky = .045 .065 .080 .100

Maybe step up to Regular Slinky = .050 .070 .085 .105

There is even Power Slinky = .055 .075 .090 .110

18. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    Is there any advantages/disadvantages to playing strings with a higher gauge? I've always wondered??

19. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    When they are the same string brand / type, they are going to feel thicker under your fingers / sound a but fuller / and be higher tension.

The Regular Slinky will feel in tension like you tuned your bass up a little more than a half step.