1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gmountain, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gmountain

Gmountain

Jan 13, 2018
    Is there any tuner that is better for a bass? I use a TC Polytune on my guitar, but I wonder if any tuner works better for a bass.

2. I don’t have a bunch of experience with pedal tuners, but I just got a Snark pedal tuner that I like. Sturdy, inexpensive, fast, good display.

Stinsok and osv like this.
  3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    For a pedal tuner the Turbo Tuner is insanely accurate. Only issue I've had with those are they are so accurate, you tend to spend too much time trying to perfectly dial each string in. I use a Boss TU-3 and it's nice, but have been thinking of switching to a Polytune pedal. Most of the time I use a Polytune clip-on tuner (own several of them) and love those.

equill, hazysonic, FSOBass and 2 others like this.
  4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Here is the list I have experience with and a recommendation based on that hands-on experience:
    1. Snark clip on tuner. Low quality. Works for a while. Eats batteries. Drop it and it could be toast.
    2. Korg Pitchblack (original full-size) pedal tuner. Built like a tank. Loved the screen clarity. Easy to use. Never any issue.
    3. TC Electronics Polytune mini noir pedal. Nice size. Seemed to tune quickly (faster than Pitchblack). Didn't feel as well built as the Pitchblack.
    4. KLIQ Tiny Tune Pro. Very small. Inexpensive. Definitely not as well built as Korg or TC Electronics. Tuned quickly. Tiny screen.
    5. D'Addario Planet Waves pedal tuner. Very well built. Huge easy to read screen. Fast tuning. Priced comparatively to Korg and TC Electronics. It is bigger than Polytune mini or Kliq or Pitchblack Mini in that it is longer and taller. However it is narrow and much more sturdy. It is like a full-size pedal but not as wide which means it takes up less pedal board space. Sharp is indicated by meters above and flat below. This is more intuitive than left and right. This pedal is my recommendation. Best tuner pedal I've used. I love it.

Planet Waves

CB2BBDBE-5456-4B4B-9320-9CB6D970FA07.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    benjonesnz, 12BitSlab and osv like this.
  5. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    TC Electronics Polytune pedal. The polyphonic tuning feature is cool but I never use it. It's just a solid, easy to use pedal.

That said, the Boss tuner app for mobile phones is good, works very well even on low B strings and is free. If I tune up with the app and check it with my Polytune pedal, the app always gets it bang on.

6. b3e

b3e

Sep 5, 2017
    Warsaw, Poland
    Politune clip-on - just works for me very reliable on 4 and 5 strings

AL_BASS, Frampton and Mammoth_Bass like this.
  7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Petersen Strobe tuners are the best in class. Very fast and accurate. They cost a bit more.

8. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Your TC Polytune will work excellent for bass.

Mark

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I own two...one on my bench, one on my board. They're the gold standard IMO.

Riis

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have a two tuners on pedalbards:

Boss tu3
    polytune mini

I also have 2 snarks for when I don’t use a pedalboard. All my tuners work fine - no need to over think this.

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.
  11. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Bethlehem, PA
    I use a polytune TC electronics pedal for my 5 strings and it works great.

Helix and Mr.Ace like this.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I own a zillion tuners from inexpensive to very expensive ones. And I"m sorry but the "best" one belongs to a previous more civilized age.
    I'm amazed at what junk some very expensive tuners are! Kind of depressing really. I won't go into details.

My all time best tuner is the Korg CA-10. Cheap, accurate, works well with mic, works well with bass or guitar, used 9 volt battery. Cheap enough to have them everywhere.

Problem, of course is that it was too cool. The great things about it needed to be broken like say changing from a common 9 volt battery to AA or AAA batteries that will one day drip corrosive goo all over the insides and render it destroyed. All the later Korg models are inferior. It's been discontinued for a long time. Thus passes civilization. I've got a couple snarks they are OK but clearly inferior to the CA-10. The headstock pickup does not work well on the B string. Only place you can still find a few of these is on Ebay. History soul-powers On.

bobba66, osv and UNICORN BASS like this.
  13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Petersen on the workbench, Snarks playing out.

But write your name on your Snark, as they have a BAD tendency to get passed around and wind up leaving attached to somebody ELSE'S guitar.

14. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Bassbenj smacked that bugger right on the head! My experience to a tee man.

15. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Louisville
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    My tc polytune works great. I keep it in chromatic mode.

16. I swear by my Ibanez "Big Mini" pedal tuner, very accurate and under $50.00.

Deak likes this.
  17. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    This one is well above average. Sadly, out of production. But the company still offers a couple of pedal style tuners possessing similar awesomeness.

M. M.

Attached Files:

superdick2112 likes this.
  18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just got a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner and it's my favorite. In the middle price wise between the Polytune and the Petersen at about $129 (I got mine used). But it's the most accurate I've ever used and gets a lot of love here.

equill, FSOBass, Roofoff and 3 others like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve bought a good number of tuners over the years. I’m currently using a Sonic Research ST-300. It’s the best tuner I’ve ever had. And that’s what finally bumped the TCE Polytune that was my previous champion.

For clip-on tuners, I’ve found the SuperSnark both easy to use, fast, and accurate. But I’ve recently shifted over to using a Korg Sledgehammer Pro which has a better display (IMO) and a strobe mode. (note: the TalkBass Store sells them in case anybody’s interested. That’s where I got mine.)

FWIW I’ve found I prefer strobe-type tuners.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Bassbeater and marcwhy like this.
  20. Zeke3elevn

Zeke3elevn

Jan 15, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I've been happy with the TC electronic polytune. I've used the 2 and the 3.