Best way to accompany

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Negret, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Negret

Jul 10, 2003
    With what kind of Bassline would you accompany this clean Guitarline (just an example)? Without distracting from it...

(80-90 bpm)
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Just drop out?

Another option is to play a simple melodic fill on the high strings.
  3. MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    If you have to play, a whole note of the open E, and then a half note of open a; and then open G as a half note;

If it sounds like i think it sounds a the open strings give it a better feel and still outline the chords.
  4. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Depends on the feel, is there another instrument that would have the melody? Maybe a vocal line?

You could make it bluesy using chomatics like this:
    E C B Bb A Ab G Gb as straight quarter notes or swing in a couple of seconds or something.

There is a lot you can do, and it really depends on the feel and what else is going on, that was just the first thing that came to mind while I played it on guitar. (Well, second, the first was man that chord is ugly.)
  5. Negret

Jul 10, 2003
    The Riff is just an example.

I made another riff in the same style as verse for a new Song of my band, and there's also a vocal line. But I have no idea for the bass part. So I wanted to know what you would play...

Just playing a whole note of the E and then an A and a G as half notes...Don't know. I think it's too boring.
  6. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Sometimes boring isn't bad, think about what would suit the music best, and if thats it then thats what I think you should play. You could put in some RnB-esque syncopation.
  7. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Maybe a slow halftime walk? If those are 16ths, then play quarters or eighths hitting every other chord tone.
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not technique related. General Instruction can have this.