Best way to eliminate ground loop noise?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    My setup is extremely noisy. Hum comes through everything. My amp, my PC speakers, I even get hum when I run DI.

Is there a filter of some kind that can quiet down my setup?

2. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Is the sole source of the hum your bass? In all locations? Does the noise change with the orientation of your bass?

What kind of bass? What pickups?

3. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    it's not my bass, my bass is fine unless I get it too close to my computer. No, It's the setup its self that's noisy. Maybe it's wiring in my walls? I don't know, all I know is hum comes out of literally everything all the time and for some reason it's worse some days than others.

4. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    So, bass straight to amp (and cab) with nothing else except power connected hums?

What is your housing environment? Do you or any of your neighbors have solar power?

5. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    Just a normal house. Built in the 90's. Part of it is that I have 2 computers, A total of 7 monitors, a TV and now because of winter, A space heater all running in the same room.

6. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Have you tried eliminating (turning off/disconnecting) devices one by one?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I'm working on that as we speak but i would still like suggestions for ground loop filters and things like that

8. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    You don't even know if that's the issue.

SoCal80s, Dominic D, tblurker and 2 others like this.
  9. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    regardless, Everything that's in running in here, has to stay running in here. So even if I find what ever's causing in, I can't get rid of it. I'm going to need some kind of noise filter

Joey lewis likes this.
  10. The golden age of slapped-together housing divisions. It's most likely your home's grounding. At least that is where I'd start. Good luck!

11. Low Commotion

Low Commotion Supporting Member

Are you close to your fuse panel (or circuit breaker panel)? The power panel for our house is in the room where I practice and if I’m within 10 feet of it, I get serious hum, even with my Precision. Now, it’s not as bad as the Jazz basses. The hum from the Jazz basses is really bad.

Try a different room if you can.

Patrice B likes this.
  12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Yes, they make them. Plug into the outlet, plug equipment into the plug, hum gone. You could also just turn your body around the room until you find the sweet spot.

But, the outlet is a sure thing.

13. Bugliens

Bugliens

Dec 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I was experiencing a nasty ground loop with my synth to iMac setup. I have the moog going audio out to my interface, which goes to the iMac via usb. The I have another usb going from the iMac back into the moog’s usb input. It was creating the worst hum/whine. Looking around online, I found someone suggesting one of these bad boys:

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Mini...ocphy=9030967&hvtargid=pla-406164115633&psc=1

I hate that I sent 15 bucks to Amazon, but it solved the problem!

14. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    No where near the fuse panel. And like I said, the hum comes out of everything. I don't even need to have my bass plugged in. The amp hums on it's one as do my PC speakers

15. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    yeah, i've been looking at a bunch of options like that. Don't know how to choose a good one

16. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    You may want to have your home's ground tested by an electrician. And check the wiring of the outlets.

If your amp hums with no input plugged in and no other connections (and, therefore, it cannot be a ground loop), something is quite wrong.

17. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Just to confirm - nothing plugged into the amp and it is humming (no cord/patch cables)? Something like this can give you a quick diagnosis of your ground/polarity. I have several monitors, 1 desktop, 1 laptop, printer, wireless access point, a ceiling fan, PC speaker, wireless chargers and my amps running in my home office/music room and they are dead quiet - quiet enough I can DI record from my pedalboards or amps(solid state or tubes) with almost no noise floor. You may have faulty wiring or a faulty device. If you have a circuit in the house with no other devices, plug the amp in it to see if you are getting the same hum. Kind of concerning your PC speakers are humming too - mine are dead quiet.

18. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I'm in the middle of re-wiring my whole setup. Removed my PC and now everything's quiet. I can't just permanently remove it though so what can I do?

19. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    When you say removed, what do you mean? Turned it off? Unplugged from wall? Disconnected everything from it?

You could reconnect one device at a time to the computer. Figure out which connection makes the noise come back.

gstaats likes this.
  20. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Some like this may help. If it was your PC, are you good with computers? It may be a crappy power supply in your PC. Using a true AVR UPS can reduce line noise as well by isolating loads from the AC line. You can also try and remove peripherals from the PC one at a time to see if it is something that is hooked up to it.

SixtyCycleHum likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021