Best way to record along with video

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by I-Flux, Sep 4, 2010.

1. I-Flux

I-Flux

Mar 5, 2010
    I want to record a bass cover of certain band along with video.

The problem is, I live in Dormitory and I don't want to disturb the other guys in my dormitory.

So what I want is bass into PC to record, but I also want to hear the bass through MIC along with the music I am covering (which is in my PC). I actually attempted connecting my bass to my PC through Amplifier, but the sound actually sucks because I put the volume a bit loud, the sound cracks (I have notebook PC and has no sound card). And the bass sound I hear from my PC is half a second late than when I actually play.

What's the best idea to record to my PC, while recording the video as well, but also listening to the bass sound and the music that is stored in my PC?

2. Mikata

Mikata

Mar 17, 2007
    Scranton, PA
    for starters get a 3.5m stereo cable spilter Y (2x females to 1male). Plug that into your stereo sources and uses one female for headphones and the other route to your mic input and record you mic selected in your video recording software.

I used that for awhile but then it got old and i was never happy because its tough to get the volume right without any distortion or static. so i upgraded to a usb mixer which allows me to run multiple channels for my instruments and then i can run my stereo source (ipod/pc/etc) to a channel input using 1/4" jack. puts more in the analog world which i dont like but it works pretty well.

I would love to find an easy way thats all software, but so far it isnt practical. if only there was an easy way to route everything in my DAW, me playing along to mp3s, to an input source to record off of in the video recording software.

3. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Best bet is to get an inexpensive audio interface. Use Pro Tools, Reaper, or whatever to record the audio while running the video. Mix down the audio to stereo 48kHz. Import the video to your computer via FireWire, and sync audio to video in a video editor. Export. Upload.

Alternatively if you can get a latency-free live mix from the interface, and your camera has a line in, you can record it directly to tape. But then you still have to import and convert anyway, so I prefer the first method.

4. Mikata

Mikata

Mar 17, 2007
    Scranton, PA
    i hate syching each and every video i do. I do so many videos all in one take that i just want to que the music, press record, and play and when im done it goes right to youtube. why waste time syching and doing all this video editing when i can be playing.

5. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    So, you're recording video directly to computer as well? There's probably something out there - Cubase or something that will capture live video do multitracking at the same time. Maybe check out Sony's editors. Still need an audio interface though to get over the latency problem.

I thought you were more concerned with quality than expediency or convenience.

6. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Also you'd only be synching the take once, then exporting all your clips good to go.

7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Get a Mac :bag:

Sorry - Just kidding (sort of). But if it's worth anything, I can tell you the way I do it on my Mac (and maybe it'll spark an idea).

I plug directly in from my USB audio/midi interface (a Tascam US-122). The audio I record into Garageband, while I simultaneously record video with my built-in iSight camera in iMovie. After all is said and done, I export the audio from Garageband, strip the audio that recorded from my camera in iMovie, and import the Garageband audio onto the movie. A simple sync up, and I've got good audio placed on my recorded movie.

8. Mikata

Mikata

Mar 17, 2007
    Scranton, PA
    its all about doing it without syching. syching is a pain and waste of time.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021