Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best way to remove the drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, May 5, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    First some backround: My band has been together for about 4 months. We do rock covers. The orginial members are myself, drummer and Keys/vocals. We have recently had a guitarist and vocalist quit and be replaced. The vocalist is a great singer, a nice guy - AND an incredible drummer. At our second practice with the new vocalist, the drummer could not make it. So the singer sat in. HE WAS AMAZING! It was like we played together for 100 years! The groove was nuclear. The whole band sounded 10 times better. Now the singer and Keyboard player are saying that the drummer does not cut it, and they are right. The task is falling on me as the band founder, to kick him out. :eek: :eek: This really sucks. :( Any advice?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Don't delay. The sooner the better.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Are you playing gigs? If so, without an immediate replacement (unless the singer can sing and drum) I'd wait till you have a better grasp of how you are going to handle replacing him first. If you have no gigs lined up, do it now so you can move forward quicker.

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    We do not have any gigs lined up. The singer can play drums and sing like crazy.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's your answer, call the drummer tonight.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed. The longer you wait, the worser it gets.

7. How to get rid of a drummer:

Get some cigarette papers and roll a big fake joint.

Say "Hey, Todd, let's go outside and smoke a fatty!"

He'll follow you outside. Light up the fake joint, then flip it out into the street in front of a bus.

Bye bye drummer! :ninja:

-M

joebar, naaily, Jim Nazium and 2 others like this.
  8. that last post made me laugh louder than any other here at TB...good one! man, I'm still laughing....

tell the drummer to beat it and now there's one less person to pay...double bonus!!!

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just be honest. Even if it hurts you or him to say it, in the long run you'll both appreciate doing it that way.

Tell him exactly what you told us.

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    *That made me shoot a boogie on my new shirt*[​IMG]

11. If you're going to adopt a 'better be better than everyone else or you'll get booted' attitude, I hope you're damn good at the bass.... because the other band members may push YOU out, too.

An unlike the other posters, personally, i don't think it's so clear cut. What was your band like when you formed? if you knew what he brought to the band skill-wise, and you gave him the impression that was OK, well...

I'd be rip**** if after 4 month practicing I got booted because my band "found someone better" unless that was made clear when I joined. If you agreed to work on things and all get better together you'd be an ass to boot him with no warning. that's called "use and drop" and it'll make you no friends. Very teenage behavior.

Of course, if he KNEW when he signed up that you might do that you're safe. You might also talk to him directly rather than kicking him out...he may not like you guys as much as you think and might agree to leave happily.

SunnBass and waynobass like this.
  12. How to get rid of a drummer?

Pay him for the Pizza!!!

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, it is the reason for the honesty. If you feel comfortable with your decision, then just be honest about it. If you don't feel comfortable then maybe you should rethink why you are doing it in the first place.

It wouldn't be the first time a band "upgraded". It happens all the time. Bands aren't necessarily about making friends...they are, most of the time, about making great music...and if someone else can do a better job, or fits in better, or just generally improves the band, why not?

Not improving the band because of friendship is, IMHO, teenage behavior. I've had it happen to me, where I was booted out. We were all friends, but I didn't want play out as much as they did. Was I hurt? Sure, but you get over it. Life moves on.

Rocky likes this.
  14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ... matches and tweezers...[​IMG]

15. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, the plot has thickened. :eek: The singer/drummer called me and pointed out some very accurate deficiencies with not only the drummer, but also the guitarist, who seems to have difficulty getting down the same songs after 6-7 practices. He wants me and the kbd player to start something at his house with a great guitarist he knows who also sings. So my band as it is has no singer. I could leave and hook up with this new group. :meh: :confused: I own the PA, which along with my rig is at the old guitarists house, and the new band will also need. This is gonna be ugly. :eek:

eukatheude likes this.
  16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have to echo Erik's advice. I've seen bands start out with 4 founding members, and at the end, none of the first members are there anymore. The reason being; someone came into the band and started firing and hiring. It looks like that sort thing of happened with your band. I would steer clear of people like that.

17. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The founding members were myself and the kbd player. We recruited the drummer and guitarists. It just seems like we are not improving much, and they are to blame. I wanted to give them a chance, and also it is tough to find good musicians willing to play in a "casual" band. We only plan on playing out once or twice a month. :(

18. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Why can't you just be in two bands?

Or fire the drummer and have two guitar players, with one doing the singing?

20. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think this gets down to a fundamental issue: what is your obligation to your band mates? We are not under contract, dont have gigs to play, dont even have a name yet. Should I have bailed out right away when I saw that the guitarist and drummer were not up to scratch? Did I do them a disservice by hanging in there? Am I a traitor by jumping ship to play with other musicians? I have to get up on stage and play in front of friends, co-workers and other musicians. Do I not owe it to myself to play with the best group of musicians?