Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Better all-around: Stingray or Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jan 3, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Which will cover a broader range of music? Please discuss.

Thanks!

2. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    [​IMG]
    I happen to love both, they both fit into any style (I think the precision is more common) yet at the same time they're both fairly one trick ponies (but at the same time, they're not.. aah!) so really I've helped in no way and I will leave it up to the experts :meh:

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Broader range of music? I agree with gord.

Quality? Stingray. Hands down. No question about it.

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)

+1 and playability, look and just a little more options also if you choose the 3-band onboard EQ!

ANDRUCA

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Stingray, but honestly, if you're looking for a broad range of tones, get something with 2 pickups in it.

6. P bass. Pup is versatile becasue you can open it up or make it dark and dubish. It is in the midde, as oppossed to riding the bridge.

Is there any gig that a P bass would NOT work in?

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    History has shown both basses to have been used in every music genre that requires a bass guitar so the answer is...tie score.

Play a few examples of both and pick the one you like better,

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Both are great basses.
    YOu can't go wrong with either.
    Try both, and get the one you like best.

9. My vote is for the P bass simply because I used to own a 'Ray and I always had a hard time coaxing more then one tone ot of it. That one tone didn't work so well for all the types of music I play. It's pretty much the same thing w/ a P - there really isn't too much that can change w/ the tone of a P using the onboard controls - but the tones that I'm stuck w/ on a P work w/ everything :)

10. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    if you're looking at overall quality, i think the stingray is better. one thing i notice is it balances on a strap way better than the precision does. i also think it's a bit more versatile as far as what sounds you can get out of it. i agree with the others though. play both and see which one YOU like. that's the deciding factor for any bass.

11. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I own both but I don't play the P much anymore. I really prefer the Stingray sound over the P bass sound.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I thought I liked the sound of the Stingray until I played one in a band. Its now one of the few basses I dont like the tone of. I really tried to like the sound but it just didnt happen. I have had better luck getting a precision to fit into different types of music. YMMV I guess I should say.

13. like said before, they both aren't very versatile, but they fit in any musical style.
    But musicman wins with building quality, playability and sound I think

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Definitely Jazz. Then MM, then P. Sonic possibilities are way more with the bridge pup, but the MM, if you're a finesse player, can get more tones than a P. A P sounds like a P to me- hollow, woody thump. Of course this is just MY opinion, YMMV.

15. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    everyone brought up good points, you really have to check it out for yourself. The P has a bigger neck I think, and fender quality control is definetally something to look out for. I've seen fenders that play amazingly and play horribly, directly beside eachother. Every MM I've tried has felt the same way, the feel is justified in the price definetally. I have a Stingray and Precision at home, they're totally different, and that's what I like about them. Lately I've noticed if you want versitility, you can't beat two pickups. I believe Fender put out a precision style bass with a stingray style humbuckler or soapbar (I forget the name) so that would be worth checking out, or a PJ, which is a very interesting choice, the jazz pickups up where the precision leaves off, it gives mid and highs, lacking in the lows but the precision levels that off nicely. If I were you I'd try a precision, a stingray, and then anything with a P/J combo. Also, I've found a gibson or epiphone (oddly, I like epiphone better) thunderbird, it gives the stingray growl but the precision deepness, but that's just me

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    What??? another P-bass vs Stingray thread??

I chose Both!!!

17. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0194060

You are probably thinking of the American Deluxe Precision Bass®. I recently asked if anyone had compared the bridge pickup on this with the 'Ray but seemingly no one had.

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I would, if I were me, take the Stingray.

Now, let me think about what I would do if I were you.

This may take a while.

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    A contradiction? ;) I agree that each will fit into any style (that you happen to find yourself playing them in.) They are therefore both versatile.

20. I ment that they both don't cover a lot of diffirent sounds
    :D