1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better pickups for my Squier P Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iwannalearnbass, Apr 1, 2009.

1. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    Hi,

I've read in some threads that you can really improve your sound quality on a Squier P Bass with better pickups. I know it's a crappy bass, but I'm an guitarist/beginner bassist trying to get into slapping and man, the sound sucks with the stock pickups.

It's a Squier P Bass Special California Series made in Shanghai. Any suggestions? I'm willing to splurge a bit if it's worth putting quality pickups on a Squier.

Thanks!

2. Punch and high end? Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounder will probably be the one you want then.

3. nagruv5150

nagruv5150

Apr 1, 2009
    Gadsden, AL
    second that. Mine scream!!

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Can't go wrong with Seymour Duncan's. Their are more several good brands but SD is good.

5. Try a better capacitor first. It's a 2 dollar/5 min fix if you know how to use a soldering iron.

6. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks guys. Will definitely look into those quarter pounders. Just so I can compare, what's another pickup that's similar to SD quarter pounders?

And yeah, the capacitors...I don't even know what a capacitor is, but if it costs $2, just tell me which one to get.

7. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Dimarzio do 2 P Pickups that are good , they do the Model P which is midrangey and growly and they do the Split P which has strong lows and highs and not so much midrange (kind of like the Quarterpounders)

8. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    For slapping, you would want the latter of the two here.

I have a set of SD quarter pounders in my P, but I dont play slap much. Most people will say slap is more suited for a Jazz bass, but Ive still heard good slap tones from a P bass before. Remember, half the tone is in your fingers and technique!