1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Better position for playing when standing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Mar 25, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I am currently having a Twiggy upright bass made for me by Kevin Siebold of Krappy Guitars (www.krappyguitars.com). While perusing his site, I looked at pictures of his Touchstyle guitars and the way their owners have wear them when standing. It strikes me as the perfect position for playing bass! The neck is mostly at a 30 degree angle with the player's body or the headstock is aligned with the left shoulder. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Did you notice how the strap buttons are on both "horns" not on the upper horn and behind the bridge? Assuming everything goes well with my Twiggy, I think I'm going to have to have Kevin make me a "vertical bass."

2. HJ -

Just a thought about your Twig, rather than the other touchstyle body-rests.

The Twiggy will tend to spin around on its axis. I struggled with this for a week or two after getting my Twig-3. I'd recommend getting a cello end-pin rest - the rubber disc with a small metal cup in the center. The post supplied by Kevin fit snugly into the metal cup, and that fixed my spin problem.

Available wherever fine stringed instruments are sold, or online at Musicians' Friend and others.

3. Yep - krappyguitars.com.

Yikes - that first site is pretty out-there.