Bi-amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by epsilonbass, Dec 5, 2004.

1. epsilonbass

Dec 5, 2004
    Hey guys i bought with the intent of moving up to bi-amp, and still havent done so. Right now i got the hartke 7000 (350+350) and a 4x10 workingman swr. I really feel like im pushing the limits of the cab, but im in a very heavy band and i have to complete with two bassy as all hell guitars both running line six's. I've actually had to change my sound from very bassy to a more trebbly sound that cuts through the bassy guitars. Anyways back to the original question, the amp head i got was designed for more than one cab.. i actually think its able to do 4, but i was considering going for a 1x18 to reclaim the lows. Would this really have much difference from a 1x15? and over all if i did get one of these would it really make a difference?
  2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i bi-amp w/ a HA 5000--the baby brother of the 7000; is use an ampeg pr1528he cab which has an a downward firing 15 and 2 front firing 8's in a deep cabinet.

With your setup you could explore several possibilities: 1x18, 1x15; 2x15; 2x12 etc. One nice thing about the hartke head is you can sweep betwwen the hi and low output to fine tune your tone. That rig bi-amped should crush bones!
  3. Note that with the Hartke 5000 and 7000, if you don't use two cabinets, you're only going to get half of the amp's output. This is the case regardless of whether you run biamped or full range.

These amps have two output channels, 250 and 250 watts for the 5000, and 350/350 for the 7000. If you plug a single 4 ohm cab in, you're only going to get 350 watts, the other 350 watt channel is going to sit there unused--the two channels don't bridge or add together in any way.

And if the single cab is only 8 ohms, you're only going to get roughly 250 watts of output, instead of the full 350 for that channel.

So getting a second cab, of any size or configuration, will give you twice as much power. Maybe more, if your existing cab is only 8 ohms, and you plug a 4 ohm into the other channel.

They can't run below 4 ohms per channel though, so don't plug two 4 ohm cabs into one channel.

Now as far as bi-amping, it sounds like you need volume, not hi-fi sound. Bi-amping helps give a cleaner hi-fi-sound. I would run full-range instead, but it's easy to try both ways, just push the switch in the back and play with crossover frequency on the front.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    despite the bickering in the 2nd page of the thread, this should give you some interesting takes on bi amping.
    click here
    I agree with nashvillebill that it sounds lie kyou just need a second full range cabinet regardless fo the configuration. Even if you used another of the same cabinet you are using now and ran both rull range you would notice an improvement in the lows.
  5. epsilonbass

Dec 5, 2004
    Yeah this is pretty much how i under stood the amp to work, as in its two separate 350's. I just imagine anything i plug in would blow right away.

Now with that second part what your saying is for my one cab i have right now, take it off mono? and then like fiddle around with the crossovers... sorry if im just repeating what you said, but yeah. I've had my amp for over a year, probably almost about 2 now actually, and im still learning how to use it. the first year was me too afraid to use it. Cause i blew a lot of crappy vx410 and vx115 cabs, cause they use to lie about the rating. then i got the working man, and now i have the eq set with lows up, med down, highs up, i usually have volume to about 5 or 6 with compression cranked up over half way. If im just screwing up my amp, let me know, whats the best way to get it the loudest, w/out distortion, and still maintain a good range of highs and lows? Should i back down on compression and thus making it louder and turn down the volume?
  6. You'll need a second cab to run bi-amped, so first step is to find a 4 ohm cab that can handle 350 watts RMS. I'd run the 4x10 for the highs. For the lows, I run a 2x15 (and most 2x15's are indeed 4 ohms) when I bi-amp... Cross over set about 1000.

I suspect the cabs you've blown were damaged because you were trying to put too much low EQ. Run the low frequencies flat. When you need volume, let the mids do the talking!!! Lots of low frequency EQ equals mud, consumes tons of power, and makes the speakers go into a condition called "over excursion"--the speaker cones travel more than they are designed to.

With 2x15s, there's no need to boost lows. With a 2x15 and 4x10 setup, you'll definately be heard!!!
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes indeed. your volume problem may eb more related to eq than power and speakers. midrange is what cuts thru live. often the sound that sounds great by yourself gets buried in a live setting. i often boost some mids live. If i play by myself that tone isn't the most pleasing, but once the entire band is playing it sounds just fine and is very audible.