1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bi-Amping Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This should be a fairly simple question to answer (if I'm right, I actually just want confirmation)

This is a small scale endeaver, with my Peavey 300 taking the lows and an old guitar amp taking the highs. My problem is the manual tells you how to send highs to the Peavey and lows to a bigger amp, and I dont know if I can just reverse it to get the opposite effect. My Peavey has the following crossover controls:

Frequency knob (50-500), Hi-out, Low-out, Pre-amp out, Power amp in.

So hi-out to the guitar amp, low-out to power amp in? And then the frequency knob would cut off the highs to the high out and lows to the low out? And around what frequency should I start tweaking at?

I just wanted to make sure, ever since setting a car battery on fire in my grade school I don't plug something electrical into itself without knowing.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    You are correct. However, the "hi-out" should go to your guitar amp's "power amp in", if it has one. Otherwise, you might get a lot of distortion if the signal is too "hot" for your guitar amp's input. Unless a lot of distortion is what you want :)

Use your ears to find a spot on the frequency knob that sounds good to you. The lowest note on a guitar is around 80 hz, so I would not send anything lower than that to the guitar amp. It should be a fun experiment; good luck!