1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bi-amping with a guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by redstick_rocker, May 1, 2006.

  1. Hi everybody, this is my first post but I have been reading around for awhile, and now that I have a real question I decided to post it.

    Now what I was thinking of doing was taking my bass rig, and combining it with a Marshall MG250DFX that my guitarist is getting rid of. I was thinking of using the guitar amp for the top end stuff and/or to get some pretty good distortion going.

    First off will this work at all without seriously messing up the guitar amp? And second if I do decide to bi amp it and send the top end to the guitar amp, what kind of equipment would I need to do this?

    Thanks for the help. :)
  2. Soulfinger


    Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    This really works well if you have the right combination of equipment. You really need an electronic crossover to pull the low end out of the signal going to the guitar amp.

    Some guitar amps work well for this, and others don't. Suprisingly, it's not neccessarily the best guitar amps either. The best amp I ever heard for doing this was a low-end solid state fender.
  3. Spector_Ray


    Aug 8, 2004
    Doug Pinnick of King's X has been doing this for years. He uses(used to use?) Traynor guitar amps for his highs and he still uses SVT's for his lows.
  4. BbbyBld


    Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    You really shouldn't need any special equipment. Most guitar heads roll off a pretty good bit of low end in the preamp, so you don't HAVE to have a crossover. You can't really hurt a guitar head just by playing bass through it.

    I don't have any experience with the Marshall you mentioned, but I play bass through guitar heads all the time. I would recommend playing bass through it by itself first to see what kinds of sounds you can get out of it.

    When I want to biamp, I use a solid state bass head through a 410, and then I run a distorted guitar head into a guitar 212 cabinet. The bass head I use has a tuner output and I use that to send signal to the guitar head. The guitar head I use has two channels, so I just keep the volume down on the clean channel, and switch over to the lead channel when I want to sound nasty.

Share This Page