1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big E 4X5 and AI Ten2EX

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Anyone compared the Big E with an Acoustic Image Ten2EX?

I have some gigs that are a little too much for the Crazy 8 and the Ten2 does the job.
    Just wondering if worth consolidating to the Big E.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dave,
    Sounds like a plan to me. If I could afford it I'd try and keep the Crazy 8, but if not the 4x5's certainly small enough for the smaller gigs and has the advantage of a dispersion pattern that will reach the audience.

Ric

3. I think they're about the same weight so I'd still like to hear opinions on the sound comparison.

4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'm super paranoid about saying anything about other manufacturers but I can say one thing.

according to published specs on 10" drivers which includes virtually any 10 cab out there

The MAS45 is more the equivalent of a 210 cabinet in terms of amount of air moved. So a more apt comparison of a 45 against two 10's is more appropriate. It will handle most jazz gigs--big band, loud band, etc. Not just a small gig cabinet.

5. Thx mike. I'm assuming you mean it should be compared to two front firing 10s.
    Vs AI which has one front and one down facing.
    I'm not concerned about volume. Based on the crazy 8 I'm sure the big E would be loud enough for what I need or every bit as loud as the AI would go.
    More interested in the sound quality comparison.

Thanks
    Dave

6. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Since you're asking a subjective question I think I can chime in. IMHO the Big E destroys the AI cabs for tone. I never really cared for the AI cabs.

7. Don thanks for the feedback. I like AI so I wondering if you don't think AI is faithful to the natural sound of the bass or just prefer what might be a more usable sound on stage like more mids?

Btw I stand corrected. The ten2wx is only 23 lbs. I think the big e was 30lbs?
    (Ply cab).

8. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Jul 16, 2013
    UK
    I like the AI cabs for sound but they don't seem to like too much volume which is a shame. I've only tried the older series though and the newer ones are supposed to be more powerful.

9. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I found the Ten2 combo to be unnaturally boomy and it didn't help that the mids/highs were pointed at my feet. Using the little peg didn't seem to do much either unless I was able to stand well in front of the cabinet. I think others have had the same experience.

10. I know what you mean. I always end up turning the bass down but I appreciate the bass that's there after I do. Then again I cut the mids too.

I have taken to moving the speaker away from and that seems to help with both the AI and the crazy 8.

Thx again

11. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have not had a chance to hear or play with one of the Big E cabinets so I can't comment on them. I can comment on the other two speakers, which are the primary speakers I use for double bass gigs. I have one of Mike's composite Crazy 8 speakers and find it fantastic for any DB gig with a smaller group. I also like it for EB jazz gigs, although it certainly can't get loud enough on its own for doubling/dance gigs. I drive the speakers with either an AI Series III Focus or a very small and light AI Clarus SL. This Clarus has no HiPass filter so I put an FDeck into the input.

If I need really loud volume, like for a doubling gig or pure EB gig for a dance or show without PA Support, I use a Barefaced Midget speaker, and have two of Alex Claber's newest speakers a Super Midget and a Big Baby 2--on order. They sound good for DB as well although they are fantastic for EB.

If it is a loud DB gig, like a big band with little or no PA support, or a theatre gig, then I take the Ten2Ex with the AI Focus as my rig of choice. I play regularly with a touring Rat Pack show with an 8-piece band that gets loud. Since we're always in different theatres, the quality of the PA support varies a bunch, and I use the Focus/Ten2Ex combination as my stage monitor. With the volume of the band, I need some serious volume and this combination provides that perfectly even though my amp is generally right behind me on a small stage riser. The trick is to turn down the bass a bit, make use of the HiPass filter to take out the really low mud, tilt up the speaker, scale back the tweeter to reduce any harshness, and use the switch on the back to direct more of the sound out the front speaker. I do leave some in the bottom speaker though since that sound tends to be heard by the rest of the musicians on the stage. I've been able to get a very tight, punchy sound this way that helps the music swing and also delivers clear tonality.

I appreciate that YMMV. Oh, and just to complete the description of what is in my signal chain, I play a LaScala Hybrid with a single Rev Solo II pickup.

Erik Hansen aka Lownote
    Scotland

12. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I'll be in Chicago December 16-20 and would love to stop by and try one of your cabs as I am trying to decide between the AI product as well.

13. Thx for the feedback. I've come to the conclusion that the ten 2 ex is a good pairing for thw crazy 8 even though its sometimes hard to decide when a situation is "big" enough for the AI.
    At 23lbs, taking it when I could have taken the eight isn't a big deal.

Hopefully can try a mas 4x5 sometime.

14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dave,
    Sounds like a informed choice to me. I'd want to take it for a spin, before I made my final decision though. Combining cabinets can be a bit tricky at times, so it's better to give it a test drive, and kick the tires, I'd try it before I buy(ed) it.

Ric

15. I've had the ten2ex for some time.
    Really curious about replacing it with a big e but I think the ten 2 ex will stay around for a while.
    Still lovin it

Thx