Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Muff!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dontbesobassist, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Hey, I noticed quite a few people on this forum to have the EHX Big Muff. It seems that people get a good sound from a big muff on their bass. Do most single effects pedals for guitar work well on bass?

2. Some do and some dont. Some pedals will suck low end, but others have no problem. a few pedals off the top of my head that are suitable for bass

big muff, small clone, small stone, any delay, most flangers, guvnor, jekyll & hyde, punch factory, etc. etc. etc.

Actually, there are quite few dedicated bass pedals. Basically you have to try them for yourself, and decide whether you like the sound you get.

3. okie doke thanks. yeh i was concerned that I'd lose all my bottom end. the trouble is the few music shops I do have close to me (including soundcontrol) severely lack in good range of bass amps and effects. This means its only on rare occasions that I can try out what I want. I'm looking for some sound samples of the sansamp bass driver. can anyone help me with that?

4. DarkHarted has about 20 of them! :p

Go to the Big TB Sample Thread. His samples are on the last 2 pages i think. Plus theres heaps of other clips of different pedals you can listen to in there.

5. I've checked them out thanks. could anyone tell me...is the lack of bottom end the only bad thing about using a guitar pedal with a bass? if so is there anything I can use/do to get that bottom end back..because I'm pretty short for cash so if Im able to use one pedal for both bass and guitar that would be really helpful.

6. yeh... bottom end is usually the only problem. Sometimes bass pedals will even lose bottom end. Its just a thing of being a bassist. You could always buy a cheap EQ pedal to run after it

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Doing more today. The proper XLR way!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, you can use some sort of blend box to blend your unaffected bass tone (no bottom end loss) and your affected tone (with some loss) and combine them for a full range sound. I've done this with a Big Muff and without it. Very pleased with the outcome.

A majority of my pedalboard is not bass specific. Most of my pedals are "guitar pedals", some of which I have modified for lower frequencies, some which I haven't. The only way to know the outcome is to try one out.

9. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I use a Russian Big Muff with a Boss LS-2 for the clean/dirty blend. I liked the Muff on it's own with the tone control about 8:00-10:00 o'clock. However, I prefer it with the LS-2 as I like the sound of the clean blended in, plus I can mess around with different settings of the Muff's tone control.

Lyle

10. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    *Quick Muff related question*

Is it possible for a Big Muff to do a subtle overdrive/distortion as opposed to the signature all out fuzz?

I mean, whats the most subtle the effect can get without it being off?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not really. It's not too subtle at the subtlest setting.

12. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i personnaly don't the big muffs. Actually i kind like the russian muff sound a lot better for bass(my preferance). I went with something a little better Fulltone Bassdrive if you got the cash i really do think you should get it.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  14. i have a question about the 'muff as well.

everyone seams to be on the quest for a true vintage muff, be it us or russian. do the new ones suck? the old ones are obviously great, but are the re-issues that weak/bad? should i start my own quest for this 'holy-grail' of effects, or should i get the re-issue?

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I use the Muff with the tone knob @ min.

I also have a dual amp set up to help me preserve lows.

As for pedals in general: Mods and echoes don't drop the bottom with the notable expection of some phasers.

16. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I had a Big Muff for a time. My problem was that I primarily play Spector basses. This pedal just stinks with a modern active bass. It sounded great with my G&L SB2, old Fender, and my friends Ric. It needs a passive bass (hotter pickups are better) to sound good w/ bass in my opinion.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, owning just about every variety of Muff available, green ones, black ones, vintage US, American Reissues, the USA Reissiue is my favorite as it's tonally the most consistent and smoothest IMO.