1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big Muff!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ETEcarmine, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    Finally after months of research I was able to check into the geetar shop. After much anticipation, I finally played the SVT-VR (which is great, but not as good as the real deal), but more importantly went on a fuzz/od/distortion spree!

Here are the pedals I tried:

1. EBS MultiDrive
    2. EHX Big Muff
    3. EHX Sovtek Big Muff
    4. Pro Co Rat
    5. Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer
    6. Visual Sound Route 66 American Overdrive

I also wanted to play the Marshall Guv'nor, the Metal Muff, and the Little Big Muff. Of the three, they only had the Metal Muff, but I didn't need to try anything esle once I heard the Big Muff.

Damn, there's not a SINGLE tone on that thing that doesn't sound great, no matter how high or low the tone knob is. It's like a smooth, rich, buttery chainsaw (funny, right?) that translates so well to bass. Even with all the rave on TB, I was skeptical because I heard it on guitar and I didn't like it. I really need to look no further. This is the one.

Comments on other pedals:

1. Pro Co Rat: Breaks up more than it sustains. Great sounding drive, but not so versitile. I can see why this pedal has love/hate reviews.

2. EBS MultiDrive: Somewhere between the Rat and the Muff with breakup/sustain. Pretty versitile with three different settings (standard, flat, tubesim). If I ever felt the need to have 2 ODs, I would strongly consider this one.

3. Sovtek Big Muff: Crap. Sorry, but I got nothing out of it.

4. Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer: Sounds kind of cool. Thin and trebly with very little low end retained, but I can see someone wanting to use a sound like this, just not very often. Reminded me of Flea's "All Around the World" tone. Not exactly, but pretty damn close.

5. Visual Sound Route 66 American Overdrive: Definitely the most transparent of all the pedals. Great tone and sustain and very tweakable (compression & bass boost). Personally, I think the transparency made this pedal a little too tame, but I can see many people digging it.

Next to the Big Muff, there's no contest. Many came close and many were more tweakable, but why get something that sounds almost as good, and get tons of different "almost as good" tones, when the Big Muff sounds great at every setting with just 3 incredibly useful knobs.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Same reason why I love my Little Big Muff. I just needed more board space :D

If you crank up the Sustain too high, though, then it gets a little too crazy. That's where it shines better on guitar, IMO.

However, I'll never need to get THAT MUCH intense distortion out of any pedal.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, that's the tone that changed my life. Well, if by life, you mean avatar and user title, then yes. My Muff is one of my more prized posessions.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I love Muff...

...and Muff'n

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Muffins are delicious.

And so is... oh, wait, it's a Rated-PG forum :D

:bag:

6. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    Ha ha, nice. Yep, I'm just joining the league of Muff divers, er, players.

7. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Got my Little Big Muff yesterday and it's probably one of the best buys I've ever made.

8. So how did you mod your muff Tim?

9. I can pretty much sum up my guitar (and bass, but I actually don't use too many effects on bass, ironic ain't it?) rig in "pre-muff" and "Post-muff" periods. :D

10. can u post a link to the pedal big muff that u found to be the best, so i know what to look for next time im at samass or guitar center, im in the market for another distortion pedal so im looking for as much info on it as i can, i found this double muff on craigs lsit for $40 and im going to check that out too, but if the big muff u are talking about is better then i think ill spend the extra cash

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Having played around with a Tubescreamer, Rat, and Big Muff, I'd say your reviews are spot on... there's something about the Muff which just screams classic sound and has a strange versitility in what it does (not that it does it with any subtlety!). I myself am strongly considering a Little Big Muff because the few other OD/fuzzes I've tried just never quite do it for me. Glad you found what works for you.

12. And it's a beautiful stompbox too!

13. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    +1
    LOVE the look of the EHX pedals!

14. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    www.ehx.com

:D

Just take a gander at the "New Products" and "Distortion" section on their pedals page. You'll easily be able to spot the Little Big Muff, NYC Big Muff, and Russian Big Muff. Look a little further down, and you'll spot the English Muff'n.

They're very distinct pedals - once you've seen them for the first time, you'll never forget them! :smug:

15. ooo that looks pretty, i once owned the double muff, it was actually the first pedal i ever owned, but back then i was just looking for an overdrive and nothing to harsh to i took it back. now i wish i had it back. but i might jsut check this one out :) thanks... how much did it go for btw?

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Prices vary depending on the Muff.

The Little Big Muff is usually around $72.00 new. Hard-to-find as a used pedal (because it's still very new), but I've seen one or two used ones on eBay going for around $60.00.

The NYC Big Muff is easy to find used. New, it's around $70.00 to $80.00.

The Russian is usually somewhere between $50 and $60 new. It's also easy to find used.

The Double Muff... I'm not sure.

17. lol, funny story, when i went to samass to look for a big muff way back then, the guy that worked there said he didnt have one but he had this double muff and he was all "hmmm u can get this one, its DOUBLE the muff" lol me and my ignorance went with it

18. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Green SBM is tonal nirvana for me.

The thing is almost every boy loves muff, but the kind of muff each boys loves most is a bit different. Almost no muff is bad (of course, there are some...) but for the most part muff=happiness.

19. im noto too sure if u implied the innuendo but im taking it as u did and i will agree :p

20. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    you know, I actually sold my big muff because neither I, nor anyone else, could get a decent sound out of it.