1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bigger may be better

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7thbass, Mar 17, 2008.

1. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have been working on smallinating my rig: Alembic F1-x, Stewart 2.1 and Avatar 2x12. I see all these small cabs and heads, and think that maybe I have too much juice for my modest gigging. Blues, rock, small clubs and dumpy bars, the occasional party or reception.

In the past I have tried a number of markbass combos, and the Jeff Berlin really sounded great to me. Those heads are amazing.

I stopped by Rockin' Robin in Houston, Texas this afternoon on the way to Jimmy's Re-Weaving, what for to have a pair pants mended on account of I split 'em while picking up a box. I guess that is neither here nor there.

In any event, played through the new mesa combo with Fathom, a berg 210, and a bag end s15b-d.

Holy samolians!

The Fathom sounded very nice, very round, and loud. Did not get a chance to play with much, but I was thinking about a Walkabout on very warm fat steroids. It is expensive, but like all their stuff, is pretty great. Nice tone.

Played the berg 210 at first with an Ashdown Superfly, which so thoroughly flummoxed and confused me I could not get a good sound out of it. Not Ashdowns fault, as I had no idea what I was doing.

So, moved on to a Fender 800 amp that was sitting next to it. Great sounding cab, but as it got louder, started running out of gas and got hissy. I think that this was a function of the settings on the Fender, but I got the sense that for proper volumes it was articulate, great for fretless, and a very good part of two cab rig.

Then I played the bag end with an Aguilar AG500. This is the huge, and I mean HUGE 1x15, no tweeter. This cab was amazing, filled the room with a bottom end thick and juicy enough to pour over pancakes. What surprised me is how happy I was without a tweeter. I play blues and rock stuff, and this thing would rule, and I mean rule, the mid sized club scene, or at least that how it seems to me.

Did not get a chance to play with a fretless, and so input is appreciated.

I have been playing smaller cabs, like the s15d, genz benz neox 2x10, GK 12 neo, and the mark bass stuff, and although they sounded very nice, they did not knock me off my feet. Maybe I am used to the power handling of my avatar, but I am beginning to think bigger may be better, for me. ymmv. Truthfully, I don't gig as much as I used to, so I am not constantly moving my gear. So, perhaps smallinating is not the way to go.

Perhaps I need to Embiggen. That would be cromulent.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Maybe you could compromise and you could middlize.

Though heads have gotten smaller and sound better than they ever have, nobody's figured out how to make a small cab sound like a big one and take the kind of power it needs to kick ass. Physics shall not be defeated.