Bill Lawrence

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by avenger86, Dec 19, 2005.

1. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Anyone have any experience with his pickups?
  2. Well, I've got a pair of ancient L500's in a guitar, and they sound great....

Be aware, there is the REAL "Bill Lawrence" but there is also another fellow selling pickups under the Bill Lawrence

The legal wrangling over the name's my opinion the site is the "real deal".....
  3. go to his site...people seem to love them...

nothing but good reports here, too...

his P-pickup in particular seems to be a winner.
  4. CORRECT....I maintain a certain level of disdain for those who try to capitalize on a name...

5. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    I'm aware of the fraud "USA".
    I am actually looking for Jazz bass pu's. My playing style is metal. Any clue if they would work for this? I've read through the testemonials, but it's hard to even find any bass ones in there lol.
    I'm kinda making a leap to think they'd work for metal bass, seeing how Dimebag(RIP) used them in guitar...and anyone who recognizes that name knows it means metal.
  6. I suspect they would be fine pickups for any style, simply based on the great sound of my old pups.... And if you don't like them, I doubt you would have any trouble selling them. So you really aren't risking a whole lot, go for it.
  7. Jazz Bass for Rock? are you NUTS??? hehe....just kidding...

I think the Lawrence's will work just fine for Rock as will a set of DiMarzio's...(I like to muddy the waters ;) )
  8. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys. Right now it's pretty much a throw up between: Bill Lawrence, Basslines Quarter Pounder Jazz, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz or Nordstrand. Any suggestions on which?
    I currently have Rio Grande Muy Grande pu's in it, which is what were in there when I bought the bass. Seems these are pretty well regarded pu's, especially in the guitar area....just not my sound I suppose.
  9. My picks from your lineup are:
    Nordstrand, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz
  10. If you're looking for agressive sound, then go with the QP's...
    good bite for rock, just not very versatile.

Have you tried any outboard preamp yet? Like a an Aguilar DB924 or a Sadowsky? Take your bass to a music shop and try some out.

You may not need a pickup change at all, just a little bit of gain and some tone shaping.

And an outboard preamp one of the most versatile and safest investments you can make.
  11. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    See, I'm actually kinda thinking I need an ONBOARD preamp. I think I need to switch from passive to active. I'm seriously considering an OBP1,2 or 3 in addition to new pu's.
    Are the QP's really that un-versatile? Everywhere I have read that they can quiet down and are just sensitive...I play metal, but there are quiet, jazz-like instrumental parts. Due to this, versatility is needed.