1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Ibanez GSR100EX arrived yesterday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Dec 4, 2018.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a week ago, i ordered a loaded pickguard from a P/J mustang (which came with all knobs, switch, pickguards and both pickups) because i just love how they sound, but for some reason playing them seated hurts my right shoulder quite a bit. i was excited after i ordered the pickguard, which - btw - was coming from a very well spoken of seller who was also recommended to me by fender.

well, i couldn't think of what bass here to put it in, so since i've been very happy with my mahogany oil GSR100EX, i ordered a gloss black one.

a couple days after that, the pickguard showed up, and each pickup had a lead broken off. my husband's theory was they were broken off during shipping as they weren't taped to the covers, and everything was sort of loose. my theory is whoever pulled everything out of the mustang got a little rough. either way, this isn't something i want to deal with, so i requested an RMA. once i get my refund, i'll look for a set of mustang P/J pickups again.

in the meantime, the bass was scheduled to arrive on saturday, signature required, but at 4, it was no longer scheduled to arrive that day. on sunday, it said it was scheduled for tuesday, and yesterday - monday - it said it was scheduled for tuesday AND on the truck for delivery. it did arrive yesterday.

on the one hand, it's got almost ridiculously better work on the sides of the frets, and like the other GSR100EX, it's comfortable to play. but it felt weird to have a bass show up that didn't have a current mod ready to go...

still, i found myself awake at 1 am playing it :) i've always liked gloss single color finishes more than natural wood. the mahogany oil one weighs 6 pounds 2 ounces; the new one weighs in at exactly 7 pounds.

can't wait to get those mustang pickups installed... whenever :D

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

glad you like your new goodies! no pics to share?

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thanks!

i'll shoot a couple when i get up this afternoon - i was too busy working and playing the bass to get pics :D

Crusher47 and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Hey @pcake, I just got a GSR100EX (Black) on Tuesday, and haven’t been able to put it down. I was most pleasantly surprised by the fit, finish and setup on it. It was nearly perfect right out of the box (well, some very minor intonation adjustments). Frets? Great! Action? Great! It feels comfortable, light and I kinda like the pup. Wanting to mod it for BEAD. May I ask, would you know what strings they come with? Black silk wrap? Gonna wait and get some wear out of this set before I mod it.

5. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Images must be presented, otherwise the item or event to which you refer will be assumed to be imaginary.

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez

here are both my GSR100EX basses - new one on the left.

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    They are under-rated in some circles, but I have played several and consider them excellent bang for the buck. I'd play one for any gig at all. :thumbsup:

amoodymule and pcake like this.
  8. Here’s mine! :-D. Pau ferro fingerboard. (Oops, not pau ferro. Jatoba)
    6AE892EF-2D86-4FD7-9D9F-A8069476E0F9.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    pcake likes this.
  9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    cool :) what do you think of it? i find it exceptionally comfortable to play.

i thought the fingerboard was jotoba

Ibanez GSR100EX GIO - Black

IamBuzzy likes this.
  10. Yep, it’s Jatoba. My bad. I really like this bass. It came setup so well I could hardly believe it. No rough fret edges at all. Even the action and pup were good. Do you know what string brand these ship with?

11. egarcia

egarcia

Dec 14, 2017
    I think they use Elixir.

IamBuzzy likes this.
  12. amoodymule

amoodymule

May 25, 2008
    Oklahoma City

I just got my oil GSR 100 yesterday, I switched the blk hardware from the micro, the chrome was too shiny, rehearsal Sunday, lighter than the Jazz, so...

looking forward to see how it hangs with the band :D

pcake and IamBuzzy like this.
  13. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    I always enjoy Pcake posts- enjoy the new gear and rock on!

pcake likes this.
  14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    aw, shucks - thanks * blush *

15. Hmm, the description on their website says they're Poplar.
    They seem too lightweight to be Mahogany.

Is yours really light?

Maybe Mahogany Oil is just the name of the finish.

pcake likes this.
  16. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Those gsr100ex are hot! Damn, I love that sexy body shape and the single mm pickup/two (vol./tone) pots combo looks awesome on that bass. Congrats!

pcake likes this.
  17. amoodymule

amoodymule

May 25, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    I dig mine almost more than my Jazz :wacky:

I switched the black hardware from my mikro and someday will get some for the lil' guy :D

I really do like the way the Geo plays, I'm thinking of grabbing another, maybe the $199-- version, with the p-bass and jazz style p-ups :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

18. I’ve got a black GSR100EX and it’s super light. Poplar seems about right. That PU is hot as a habanero too. Been lowering it incrementally (1/2 turns with screwdriver) trying to get it to match up a little closer with my other basses on the amp’s preamp clip light (less red, more yellow).

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. I think the GSR100EXMOL might just be my ride or die at the end of the road when I can't be arsed to carry my SR1800E, LOL!
    It's supposed to arrive Friday, I hope it's as light as the GSR105 I had recently. (under 6-3/4 lbs.)

IamBuzzy and Flaked Beans like this.