Black Limba

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Marcus Willett, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I'm looking for suggestions where I might be able to find a body blank. I've tried the usual sources, and a few others like Gilmer woods and our own Exotic Wood Brokers, but no success yet.

I'm looking for a fairly light (i.e., not ridiculous, but lighter than average) piece of black limba (korina) with a more-intersting than average grain pattern.

I have a bit of experience with korina, and know that it is usually a medium-weight wood, and usually not that striking in appearance. I also once had a Jazz bass body that was made of korina that was about as light as a comparable piece of swamp ash (around 4lbs) and was more highly figured than usual, so I know they exist, though maybe rarely.

If anyone has any other ideas where I might be able to find such a piece, please let me know.

Mods: I may be in error in not placing this in "wanted", but I thought perhaps the luthier forum would be more effective since I am looking for sources and probably unlikely to find a specific seller. However, if this needs to be moved, then by all means.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Thanks...no specs or pics, but I shot 'em an email anyway.

A lot of folks come back with the usual "We get new things in all the time...keep checking back" type response.

4. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Larry at Gallery Hardwoods is the man to contact.

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Already done; that was one of my early sources.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I second the Gallery Hardwoods suggestion :hyper: having received a gorgeous 2-pc Black Limba body blank from Larry just this month. (one of several blank sets in this recent shipment)

If you are unable to utilize a 2-pc blank due to limitations in your shop tooling capacity ... be aware that Larry can provide a custom thickness and even glue the halves together for a most reasonable upcharge

all the best,

R

7. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    LARRY????? I swear his name was Harry!!! ...spend two afternoons searching all TB forums looking for some HARRY!!! :bag:

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    That could work. Sent 2 emails so far but no response yet.

9. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hi Marcus,

did you run thru the GH request info page, an PM here, or a simple e-mail? I believe Larry has been swamped this past week plus, as I have not seen him posting in all of the usual places ... maybe he's en route to/from or at a trade show.

if you haven't used the GH info page, do give that a shot.

https://www.galleryhardwoods.com/contactsecure.htm

all the best,

R

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    What exactly is the problem that you're having getting a piece from your sources? They all carry korina. Are you rejecting what they have due to weight, figure, something else?

11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Well, I wouldn't call it a "problem". I just am looking for an especially nice piece of korina. I'm willing to pay a premium for it as well. Most suppliers are going to give me "regular" korina if I order it. I know what to expect with that in terms of weight and figuring...I've had a few korina bodies and seen many korina blanks.

I've also seen some and had one exceptional piece, and this is what I'm looking for. Not really a problem, just want to know where I can get an exceptional piece...lighter than usual, and more figured than usual. If "they all carry korina", then "they" should be familiar with what is normal, and thus able to recognize an exceptional piece, if it comes along.

That's all...

12. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most of the guys you mention deal with species by the 1000's of board feet. My guess is that they are dubious of picking a piece they think is exceptional, sending it to you and having you tell them that's not what you had in mind.

Have you tried Ed Roman? I think he is a korina nut. He may sell blank sized chunks. Else he might have some idea where you can get a blank.

13. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yeah, that's the problem I'm facing. I was just kinda hoping if I put feelers out and something were to come along....

14. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Larry sent me pictures before I ordered by korina blank from him (a really nice piece too!) and I'd bet he'd weigh it if you're looking for a lighter piece.

15. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    According to what Larry sent me, I would have to order first, then I would know the weight/figuring:

"We have black limba timbers, but do not pre-cut any body blanks until ordered so the mineral pattern isn't typically known until it's surfaced out so there's no photo to send you of a body blank ready to sell you...Best Regards...Larry Davis"

FWIW, we're still talking and there may be options available, so we'll see. I hear nothing but good things about Larry, so I would look forward to dealing with him.

16. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    I've gotten a few responses, and the usual reaction is "Well, give me an idea...I can't read your mind.", which I of course acknowledge is completely understandable. The bass I referred to is long gone, but just to give an idea of the kind of above-average figuring I'm talking about, I found this pic, which is along the lines of what I'm thinking of:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021