1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Pickguard Material

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by robd, Oct 26, 2018.

1. I need a small piece of pick guard material to make an access cover ... 3" x 7" to be exact.

Was wondering if anyone might have a scrap around your shop somewhere that you would like to pass on ? Don't really want to buy a huge sheet when I would have no use for most of it.

thanks for looking

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    I've read that some people have cut pieces out of rubbermaid, or similar brand, storage containers for access covers when in a pinch.

robd likes this.
  3. If you have a Hobby Lobby or a real hobby shop around, they usually have sheet plastic in sheets dirt cheap. The brand name is Evergreen and is usually somewhere near the plastic models at HL.

BnB

robd likes this.
  4. Thanks, I'll check into it.... about the only thing I got around here is Michaels

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  5. Michael's might have it too. I've never looked for it there, but HL is closer to me anyway. Both will have thin balsa wood with might make a good cover too.

PM me if you dont find what you need there. I might be able to scrounge up a piece of sheet plastic depending on size needed.

BnB

robd likes this.
  6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    If these other ideas don't work out, speak up. I've got bin boxes of scraps of cut off vinyl pickguard material. Plenty of solid black. I'll mail you a piece, no charge.

Joshua likes this.
  7. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    a friend of mine made a pickguard out of a piece of clipboard plastic, i'm sure it'd work for an access cover.