Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blade Tetra B-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 1, 2005.

1. ive been playing one of these the last few weeks...very very nice, nice neck not quite satin not quite gloss but very comfortable...the mid boost i can see coming in handy..if they had maple fingerboards they'd be a fine competetion for the 70's KSD's....its also almost convincing me out of an LTD jazz
    [​IMG]
    the one im falling in love with is vintage white with a shell pickguard
    im just curious i havent seen much chatter about them around here..does anyone have one or used one before?..how do the b-2 and b-25's go against it

2. bump....anyone?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have the feeling that the Blade basses would be of a higher quality than the KSDs. Blades are supposedly designed by Swede Gary Levinsohn and made in Japan. Their electronics are supposed to be quite sophisticated, but this was the time before J-Retros and other Big Preamp names of today.

I've been curious about Blades since the late 80s but I've never seen one.

4. well IMO i think the blades and KSD's are close competition, i can barely find flaws in either of them...the blade has a better neck finish, but with the ksd i feel more "at home"....if i got a blade i think id put a badass on that as well..i really dont like those flimsy "vintage' bridges..but thats just me i think

the blades are built in switzerland and assembled in japan then sent back to switzerland to be setup...the tetra b1 hasnt got the BVSC-3 like the b2 and b25...the BVSC-3 looks like rather complex stuff though

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    where did you find a blade, is it second hand or had someone got them in australia? how much it be costing?

6. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    The odd used Blade (pre-Tetra run) turns up on Ishibashi's U-Box. They look good for the price. I've played a Blade Telecaster before in the UK and was happy with the detail and sounds you could get from it.

Heath, how are you liking your KSD? I'm considering a "60's" 5-string because I already have a maple jazz.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Heath...that picture is of my bass. I have had it since March. Love it. I haven't enjoyed a bass as much since my 66 Jazz in the 70's. There is just something about that neck that is divine. I can't put my finger on it, if it's the excellent fret job, action, finish, dimensions. It's subtle, but really really nice to play.

Blade is a bout 2 hours away from here by car. I chat with them from time to time. Gary Levinson is from New York, but has been living here for over 20 years.

Someone else from Australia was asking about them recently, so I did a search to find that thread because Blade sent me an email today suggesting they contact the distributor in Australia. Here is what he wrote:

Tell your friend that he can contact our distributor in Australia, Warrick is a nice guy:

Cutting Edge Music
    4/1601 Main Road
    AU-3095 Research Vic
    Tel. 0061 3 9437 0444
    Fax. 0061 3 9437 2098
    warrick@cuttingedgemusic.com.au

Best regards
    Levinson Ltd.
    Christian Hatstatt

www.bladeguitars.com

UNQUOTE

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Picked up a B-2 a few months ago:

[​IMG]

Very nice bass actually. One of the most comfortable necks I've run across in a long time and the fretwork is first-rate. The preamp is a bit unusual with your usual treble/bass boost knobs that also pop up to activate trimpots on the back, one of which is a mid boost. I think they list for around $1900 USD. Quality stuff...on par with just about anything out there, really.

9. im loving my ksd...i think it'll always be my main bass...the only problems i have with it is that a few frets are sharp on the edges and on mine, i dunno if any others are like this, but the volume pot doesnt completely mute the output...but they are really great jazz basses..

its brand new, theres a store here in newcastle..city music...i can get the tetra b-1 for $1200(aus) if you want pm me and i can find out more prices or i can give ya phone number if you want

that b-2 of yours marcus looks a bit different from the one in the catalog...id be interested....next time im on ill pm ya...otherwise just shoot me a pm with some info

10. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    My understanding is that it's a model from the mid 90's or so; they've since changed the headstock and the preamp a bit. Plus the newer ones look like they have pups with exposed poles. Mine are like the Lace Sensor design.

11. a geetarist friend claims that blade make (and i quote) "the best strats in the world". no idea about the basses though. :(

12. i dont know about the best...rather good though...great for that stevie ray bluesy twang though

13. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Well, as a few folks know I recently sold the body of my Blade bass. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I already had another trans blue bass and....well, I'm weird that way. I'm very happy with how it turned out with the new body tho....behold:

14. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    The bass looks great , what is the hardware and pickups on the new body?

15. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    It was a straight swap more-or-less. I took the neck, hardware and pickups from the Blade and put it on the new body. I had to lose the preamp tho, because it was mounted on a small circuit board and would not line up with the standard Jazz control plate. So I went with an Aguilar OBP-1, the 2nd vol knob being a push/pull for active/passive operation.

16. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    What body is that? Just curious....

Lee

17. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    So am I. Saw it on eBay and just fell in love. Always liked cherryburst and it was really driving me crazy having 2 trans blue basses (I did admit to being weird about that, right?). It also was one of the few finishes I could deal with having gold hardware on; all the Blade hardware being gold. Turned out nicely tho it was a bit of a gamble.

18. Hi folks,
    I´m really a double bass player, but I have owned two Blade B-2´s for more than 10 years. The 4-string fretless is a plain maple plank with rosewood fingerboard. The 5-stringer fretted looks just like the B-2 in Marcus Willett´s post, with the exception that the colour is more purple shade.
    Both are just so excellent instruments that I haven´t had a heart to sell them, even though I don´t play them regularly.
    If you ever get your hands on one, don´t miss to try them. They are simply very well made and great basses to play. The looks are a plus.

R2

19. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Agreed. I rarely play 4 string basses anymore; my Blade spends a lot of it's life hanging on the wall. :( But it's a damn fine instrument and every time I pick it up I'm reminded of that truth. Whenever the opportunity comes up (like a jazz gig or maybe classic rock) i.e., where 4 strings is plenty, I love to grab my Blade.

20. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    My Blade gets taken to more gigs than my 75 Precision or my MIJ jazz with Fender Custom Shops.

I asked Blade about where they're made. They're designed by Gary Levinson, an American that's been in Switzerland for 20+ years, built in China, assembled in Japan, set up in Basel, Switzerland. There are hand made Blade's that pop up every so often on Switzerland's version of Ebay. These date back to the 80's/90's.

The necks on these basses are really nice.