Blown speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass183, Sep 9, 2021.

1. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm not sure if there's already a thread on here for possible speaker cab problems.

I have an Aguilar SL 112 that just started making a buzzing sound when I play it. I have it paired with the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 amp. I also run a Radial ToneBone with it when I double upright bass and electric bass on gigs. I haven't ever cranked this set up past the 12 0'clock position (mid-volume) as I mostly play jazz, soul/r&b. I'd be surprised it I blew the tweeter or the speaker. Also, this rig is fairly new. I bought it new back in 2019 or late 2018.

I did contact Aguilar, so I'm waiting to hear back. Hopefully they are responsive. I was just wondering if there's anyone on this board who has experienced a similar issue. Maybe there is something else going on? I've never blown a speaker before from playing low-mid volume gigs. This would be odd for a solid cab like this with an eminence speaker to poop out all of a sudden.

Thanks!

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Could be a wire inside is making contact with the cone. It's at least something you can check.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Is it distortion or could it be a rattle? Have you checked the dust cover? Have you sat on it?
    Double check all cables, any batteries....
    Do anything and everything you can WITHOUT any disassembly until you hear from Aguilar.

Good luck.

Edit...
    Do you have an HPF on at least the DB?

Haroldo likes this.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    An air leak around the driver gasket can make such a sound. With proper caution for your hearing, it might be possible to localize the source of the buzz.

wave rider likes this.
  5. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    I did check the wires inside. That doesn't seem to be the problem.

6. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    Ya, I checked everything to rule out any possibilities. Aguilar did respond pretty quickly and I am waiting to hear back again from their rep. "fdeck" did mention something I hadn't thought about, that it could be an air leak around the driver gasket. Whatever it is, blown speaker or air leak, I'm hoping to get it fixed asap. I've got a lot of gigs booked that do require me to bring my amp. My backup isn't nearly as nice as this rig.

7. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    I hadn't thought about that. That could be the issue. It's hard to tell without taking the front cover off, which I don't want to do because it's still under warranty. Just out of curiosity, how would this happen (blown speaker or air leak) in the first place? I don't crank the volume on this rig at all. I don't crank the bass tone up past the 12 o'clock position. Most times it's at 10 o'clock. :????

8. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    *I do mostly run my upright through an HPF. I use either the one on the Radial bassbone or fdeck's hpf-pre. On occasion, I have run my upright through the amp w/o a filter. When I've done that, I've turned the bass tone knob down a bit and haven't run the volume knob up too high. Maybe the low frequency of the upright bass w/ a Realist lifeline pickup is enough to blow the speaker even at a fairly low volume?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022