1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blue steel went to hell.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wolfkeller, May 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    For years ive been using roto 66s but i used blue steel for years before them. I swirched back recently as i could get em for $13 a set from sweetwater. Well, first they didnt get em in, had to wait. I got the med guage from them and the heavy gauge from zzounds.

First, some sets have silks on the tuner ends, somw do not . They no longer have silks on the ball ends. I was instantly surprised at how weak they sounded. I used wm on 6 different basses for maybe 5 gigs and have now gone back to rotos.

The agressive, punchy tone I remember simply isnt there and again, this is multiple sets on several different basses. On top of that, no one really seems to have em in stock. Real bummer but so it goes wanted to just pass on my experience

jmlee likes this.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Seems everything from Dean markley has changed.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  3. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Real bummer, use to love em.

4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I’m with you completely!

Blue Steels were my go-to strings for years and years. Last few sets have been awful, and I was reminded of that tonight while I was cursing the set on my L2500. They were the last set I got with silks—and they are history.

I wrote to Dean Markley about the lack of silks and how hard it made it to mount up the G string. I got a completely dismissive note back after two weeks with a tone like “Yeah, we did it. So what?”

I’m finding DR Pure Blues are a good substitute.

5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal

lz4005 likes this.
  6. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    I am in the same camp. I have played them since their debut. And sad to say the silks are gone. I emailed them and they said they are going without. But they do not sound like they used too. Super sad. I just got some ghs steels, some dr and pro steels to try.

7. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Interesting. I put a set on my jazz a few weeks ago. Silks and tone the same as I remember. I must have gotten an older set.
    Pro steels are a great alternative.

8. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    GHS Super Steels.

Anemic_SluG likes this.
  9. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Back to roto66 and good to go

10. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    Yes a old set. Recently all my sets were dark blue silk with the black and blue ball ends. Then some silk. Like a random g string but the rest naked.
    Mostly I was disappointed at their response when I asked the question. Felt like I was wasting their time. And the newer string don’t have that zip, tension and feel if the old. Now on the hunt for a new string.

Never liked the longevity of the roto 66’s something in my DNA dull them and boomers quickly from brute to dead. That is why I played BS for more than 25 years.

11. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    Dean Markley has gone through lots of changes in recent years. One thing I noticed awhile back was their bass and guitar endorsing artist roster started shrinking. Big name players jumping ship. Also, within the company it is my understanding that Dean Markley himself is no longer involved. The last few sets of SR2000 I've used are non silked and I had multiple issues with dead out of the box strings, which they replaced with more dead ones. Out of 10 sets, half may have been correct.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I know they closed their winding plant a couple of years ago. No telling who makes them now.

13. Wolfkeller, thanks for the warning. I believe you had a post a few months back and I thought I should try them again - but now I'll skip. Anemic Slug, if you liked Rotos but dislike the longevity I suggest Marcus Miller signature Dunlop Super Brights. I'd say they are very similar.

wolfkeller and BrentSimons like this.