Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bluegrass bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jazz Lover, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Maybe I should have put this in the double bass category but I don't play upright so I stay here.

Does anyone other than me have an immense amount of respect for bluegrass bassists both electric and upright? They don't get much recognition but I think they are some of the ultimate bass groovekeepers. They generally work without a drummer so they are trying to do the work of two musicians at once. I played with a band that did a lot of bluegrass a while back and it is in my opinion harder than most of the flashier playing I have done in rock bands. Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    As a bluegrass bassist, I thank you for saying that. Lots of people don't understand how hard it is to be the bass player in a bluegrass band. They assume since it's really root and fifth heavy, that it's easy. I have been playing in traditional and nu-grass bands for about a little over a year now, and there are still times that I find myself a little too green.

As the bass player, you carry the whole group. You are the beat. Now if you're playing with fast pickers, it can sometimes be very hard to keep them under control. Sometimes it's like a race to the end of a song, but you're expected to keep the time.

Anyways, it's fun. It sounds easy, but it's harder then it seems. And I agree, of all bass players around the world (who are already overlooked) that bluegrass bassist are the most overlooked.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: Your right, very underrated.
    Roy Huskey Jr. was great.