Blues/Rock Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Mar 3, 2004.

1. 95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Okay guys, ANOTHER poll, but this time a little more narrow in subject.

Who do you guys feel deserves props for those amazing walking bass lines? I'm listening to a lot of Blues Traveler lately and feel that both Tad Kinchla (current bassist) and Bobby Sheehan (past bassist,God rest his soul) deserve to be on this list for putting walking bass lines into mainstream music without killing their style. Let me know what you guys think.
  2. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Long live Blues Bassists! You've got a great start, especcially Bobby that man could play! I'd also include:

Tommy Shannon-SRV, Arc Angels, Storyville, Double Trouble
    Roland Bacon-Blinddog Smokin' (check them out!)
    Allen Woody-Gov't Mule, another unfortunate casualty

I'd also add the guys from the modern funk/blues outfits like Jonny Lang and Shannon Curfman, not really walkers but their still badass.
  3. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    The Johnny Lang guy is awesome!
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Keith Fergason- Fab. Thunderbirds.
    Duck Dunn- Blues Bro.
    Jerry Jemmott-B.B. King.
  5. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Great suggestions!

I think the Jonny Lang guy is actually a studio bassist, at least on Wonder this World. He and Curfman came from the same town and I swear they recorded at the same studio, check out Curfman's Loud Guitars, Big Aspirations (I think thats it), some of the songs have note-for-note basslines just like Lang's! And Curfman might be an even better singer AND guitar player!

I don't know the bassists, but Chris Duarte, Indiginous, and Derek Trucks are all awesome. Susan Tedeschi too, and Kenny Wayne Shephard (nevermind that he himself is an SRV knockoff, he still kicks and his band rocks).
  6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Woody was one BAD mofo. I swear, that guy could play anything you asked him to.

Don't forget Roscoe Beck-- played some ballsy stuff with Robben Ford and a few other guys.
  7. Deep

May 8, 2002
    I've seen Savoy Brown a few times recently. I gotta say they really rock and they're the real deal. Lead guitarist and founder Kim Simmonds is just at the top of his game. I remember when he was on the cover of Guitar player years back. The other guitarist used to be in Shania Twain's band a few years ago. The drummer used to be with Commander Cody and Duke Robillard. The bassist is a mother. You can see he is using 10% of what he can do. He's a super groover and you can hear r+b, jazz and funk in his playing. Not just the blues thing. He seems to be playing a Zon and a Lakland. He also has really impressive bio. I checked it out at their website.
  8. 1. Jack Bruce (Cream)
    2. Felix Pappalardi (Mountain)

then nothing for a while..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  9. Roscoe Beck...
    i dont know much about him but watching him play for eric johnson on the g3 dvd was great

he has a nice signature jazz as well
  10. Some greats have been mentioned (Roscoe Beck, Duck Dunn, Tommy Shannon, Keith Fergusson). I'll nominate these cats:
    Willie Dixon - with Muddy Waters. Awesome bassist and songwriter.

Greg Rzab - with Buddy Guy. This guy is a monster. I got to see him with Gov't Mule and he was great.

Larry Taylor - with Canned Heat and Hollywood Fats. Smokin' lines that are inventive but always right on.

Ray Brown - The Master. Nobody makes a blues line swing like Ray Brown.

Berry Oakley - Original Allman brothers bassist. Cool, tight, fun, inovative lines. and a darn good singer too (that's him singing on "Hoochie Coochie Man" on the 2nd album).
  11. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Traditional Chicago Players:
    Calvin "Fuzz" Jones -- Muddy (still alive and kickin')
    Tom "Mookie" Brill -- Bob Margolin (based out of Charlotte, NC)
    Willie Kent (one of Chicago's finest and he sings, too)
    J.D. Williams -- Sons of The Blues (one of the best bands to come out of Chicago; Billy Branch on harp and Lurrie Bell On guitar)
    Harlan Terson -- Lurrie Bell (son of the great Carey Bell)
    Crossover Players:
    Dave Bronze -- Clapton (Frome the Cradle)
    Brad Hallen -- Roomful of Blues
    Doug Nelson (RIP)-- Jonny Lang/road bassist for Lie To Me
    Billy Franze -- Jonny Lang/road bassist currently
    Neil Powell -- Renee Austin/road bassist currently

The last 3 are out of Minnesota all with a funk background. The sole purpose is the groove.
  12. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have to agree with you here. Chris Duarte's Bass player is a guy named John Jordan. He plays a Conklin 7 string. He does all kinds of chordal stuff while holding down the groove and the bottom in a 3 piece. Duarte is UNREAL live.

I met him (John Jordan) during intermission at the last Duarte show I saw. I asked him about the Conklin and he just handed it to me - plugged in and everything :eek:

I just fumbled a little and said 'nice bass'. He's a totally cool guy too.
  13. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I could go on for days on this subject....

I've got to say that Johnny B. Gayden is on the top of my list. He was the bottom end for Albert Collins. What an incredible bassist. So unrecognized which is such a shame. I wish I knew where he is today. I'll bet somewhere in Chicago.

Preston "Pres" Hubbard is an awesome bassist. He started with Room Full Of Blues then went to the Fabulous Thunderbird. Did some jail time but is now with a young gun out of Austin named Shawn Pittman. He's equally adept at electric or acoustic upright. He got me set up with a Biesle for my 2x.

Randy MacDonald is the bassist for the Tommy Castro Band. A funk-laced blues band out of the Bay Area(SF). He did 10 years with a funk band named the Dynatones where he hooked up with Tommy. He plays a very sweet old beat-to-death, P bass. And he is a blast to watch on stage.

Steve Gomes!!!! He usually plays with a harp player named Darrell Nulisch. I wish that I could find more information on him. This guy just knocks me out.

Roscoe Beck(Robbin Ford) is simply AWESOME.....nothing more to say. He seems to play exactly what the song needs and sound sensational doing it.
  15. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Has anyone else here heard of Blinddog Smokin? You all owe it to yourselves to check them out. I'll give a few reasons.

Guitarist-think of SRV. Now think flamenco. Now think Jeff Beck. Put it all together, its Jason Coomes.

Bassist-Bobby Sheehan, plus he slaps like one badass mofo, better than Flea at slapping!

Drummer-Bonham, Keith Moon, and Neil Peart all rolled into one doing jazz/blues drum beats.

Singer-Excellent harmonica player, and really can get dirty like a good blues singer should, but can also sing.

Other Singer-Sometimes Miss Blues will play with them, and thats Koko Taylor in voice!
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Where are they from? And do they have a CD out?
  17. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Carl Radle

18. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Jack Bruce, Allen Woody, Leon Wilkeson, Anthony Kenney Ky Headhunters, Dave Schools!

Take care'
  19. another vote for allen woody!! R.I.P. :(
    i just figured out the line to thorizine shuffle one of my favorite woody lines.
  20. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unless I overlooked his name, I don't understand why nobody mentioned Duck Dunn. He's one of the greats!:D