Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BNF vs. CA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabbass, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    Hi to everybody,
    I own a Fbass BNF5 with Hipshot Style A bridge,
    but I'm considering to buy the Caron Model 6 strings...
    So, who can tell me the main differences in tone between these two models of Fbass fretless?
    ...and is it possible to put different strings(not taper core) in the RMC piezo bridge of the CA?
    I don't like Labella, I had them in my BN5 but I replaced them with DR Fat Beam...in my opinion really better then LaBella...
    So I'd like to install DR in CA too...

Please tell me...thanks.

Your Italian friend....

2. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    What year is your BNF? I did not know there were many with metal bridges. Or, is your bass a fretless BN5?

The the tonal difference you will hear is that the AC bass will tend to be woodier in nature and more growl due to its acoustic chambers.

You can string an AC with anything you want. But, George sets his fixed bridge basses up with tapered strings in mind. You will have to have a Luthier play with the bridge to change the setup if you do not like the new height with regular strings

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm also curious about the metal bridge. I LOVE fretless F's, but I'm definitely not a fan of a bridge I can't adjust myself.

4. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    My '04 BNF5 has a metal bridge. This bass is my third BNF5. I do not believe I would buy another fixed bridge