1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bob Gollihur is Santa

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Greg Clinkingbeard, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Bob's blowing out Acoustic Image products.
    His price on new Focus 2R III heads is $999. I've seen them sell for more than that used.:meh:

This might be a good time for any fence sitters to buy.

No, he hasn't put me on the payroll but I thought I'd pass it on.

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Are they coming out with something new?

3. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    The Focus range I think is discontinued. Had a quick look on the AI site the other day, they don't appear but the Clarus now seems to be in the Focus power range, or close to it.

4. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The new Clarus+ has the same power specs as the Series III Focus and costs $979 -- twenty dollars less than the Focus blow out price. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    So you're saying the Focus 2R III and the new Clarus+ are the same?

I'm confused.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Damn. I guess my used Focus just lost some value. :( Ya think? I hate it when companies improve their products AND reduce the price. ;):D

7. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Slight derail, but since we are with Bob, does anyone know what the status is with the new NL208 cab? It seems to have vanished from the new Euphonic gear page on his website.
    I would email him but sitting in the middle of the rice paddies my email has failed!! This site is still working, despite the snail like speed of the connection.

8. There was not enough interest to do a run.

9. Me too. The Clarus+ obviously has more power than the old Clarus III. According to Bob G's website: "The Clarus+ model increases wattage from 400w to 800w at 4 ohms."

If the Clarus+ goes to 1000w at 2 ohms, then it has the same power as the Focus III.

Maybe somepme who knows what's going on here will explain...

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I think the Focus 2RIII and the Clarus+ are the same amp in a slightly different case.

11. So it would be the Clarus+ (the former Focus 2R III, with two channels and 800w at 4 ohms), that is the only A.I. Clarus/Focus amp going forward. The Coda+ and Cora+ remain, but have more power, too?

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    http://www.acousticimg.com/compare.html

13. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    It seems like streamlining the range and offerings.... FWIW, I wish AI would work on the preamp. For the life of me I cannot see a DB or EUB player needing 800W, and for the EB slab player who might - the preamp section needs work. I liked my Clarus series 1, but I liked it better when I went from bass into efx return.

14. This is becoming more confusing than Pirastro strings - and that's no small feat.:help:

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I agree that the preamp needs work however the power even for DB can be useful. I'm glad it has so much and wouldn't use it if it didn't.

An FX structure and FX loop are useless to me but I suppose sombody might want them for guitar or keys. I'd trade that stuff for a usable EQ and the ability to use both high pass filter and phase reversal.

That little Doubler might just kick their ass if they don't watch out. They aren't sitting in some hallowed sonic turf like some put the Walter Woods.

16. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Ho ho ho.

17. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yep, maybe. But the Ten2 might just attract some converts too.

Rick is just the most genuine and humble guy. Smart as a whip. Really knows his s**t.

What does strike me with a smile is that AI is now making a renewed thrust into the cab market with the Ten2, where EA has traditionally won out let's say in terms of market share. And at the same time, EA is trying to capture a share of the micro head market, where AI has had a good run for a long time.

Tit for tat. Gimme a little o' dis here, and a little o' dat dere.

Either way, it's all good for Bob G. :)