Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bongo Clearance NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 19, 2005.

1. I just thought I would pass this along to anyone who might be interested in buying a Bongo in the NYC area.

There's a double humbucker Bongo 5 in desert Gold which appears to be in mint condition at the Guitar Center on 14th St. off of 5th Avenue on clearance for $1,119.99 which is $200 less than the $1,319.99 they had been asking for the past year.

It's a new bass, and has been in this store for at least the past year, but I've never played it as it has always been high up on the wall and needed salesman assistance in order to be played. I last saw someone checking it out two weeks ago.

I want a Bongo, and I would buy it, but my money's tied up right now. I could put it on the GC credit card, but I'd rather not do that right now.

So, if you're looking for a Bongo and you're in the NYC area do check this one out.

They also had a Stingray or two and at least one Sterling on sale as well, but I don't recall the prices.

Mike ;)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A desert gold dual humbucker Bongo five-string, huh? I just saw a brand new one in Wisconsin on clearance for $999 with a case two days ago.

I'd suggest for someone to go and buy it, but someone already did while I was there....

3. Really? :eek:

I guess they rip us off price-wise in New York because we're in New York.

$999 is nuts. That's almost a third less than the going price at Musiciansfriend of $1,410.00 :rollno:

Mike

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Saw several 5 strings for $849, and several 4s for $799 at Cleveland GC a few weeks ago.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Which one- on Mayfield Rd. or the one on by Great Northern (I'm actually in Ohio right now, although I don't need another Bongo)?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The one in N. Olmstead, west side of Cleveland.

7. These were brand new Bongos in good shape?

Mike

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Michael, I didn't look at them closely, but they were new.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Word is that GC is clearing out "old" stock to make way for new models. Those prices are RIGHTEOUS.

Believe me.

10. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    If it only had a piezo...I'd be THERE.

I emailed EBMM and asked if ANYONE, ANYWHERE had a Desert Gold HH 5 with a piezo, and the answer was no.

11. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    The GC in N. Olmsted does not have the 5's for 849. They're 950 unless they've been lowered since yesterday. I bought a 5 for that price. They do have a 4 HH for 799 though.
    Randy

12. Yeah Mike your right that is bulls***. That is why I believe that at Guitar Center if you walkin with cash youll walk out with someting you like for alot less than they ask for!

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I would love to get a 2 octave, 2 pup MM. Right now I am still sitting on the fence about the Bongo's looks. But hey, for the right price, I can get over playing something that doesn't look out of place when someone's sitting on it. :hyper:

14. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just called them and you're right- the fives are $950. I'm going to go get $49 back....

16. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Man, you guys are so lucky.

I would have to pay around $2300 US for an HH Bongo 5.

17. lorino

lorino

Oct 23, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Those Bongos at the Brookfield, WI GC are/were pretty beat up. One with a big gash on the lower bout; another with a big gash on the headstock.

JIM

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not all of them. I bought the d. gold HH five-string, and there's no scratches, dents, or gashes anywhere. Only visible flaw was extra glue at the strap pins that I'll be taking off. It was also the only one there that was $999.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    They raised 'em then. They were 849 a few weeks ago.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I stand corrected! I noticed two very small paint chips in the headstock on very close examination that I previously thought were reflections/glare. They were very small, but since the guys at that GC swore it was in perfect condition (and I know I didn't do it), I decided to make an exchange for the one at the Cleveland GC, which was $50 cheaper and flawless (no extra glue at the strap pins either). It also appeared to be newer- there was still cellephane on the pickguard.