BONGO for punk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Sep 18, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hey guys, I was just wondering how you think the almighty bongo would hold up doing the punk thing. I'm thinking the dual Humbucker model. At first I hated the looks but now I'm Gasing over one in lava pearl with a black perloid pickguard. Thanks alot guys.
  2. Andy On Bass

Andy On Bass

Sep 10, 2005
    I think the Bongo would be fine for punk gigs! I'm always hearing great things about its versatility so I'm assuming it can fit the bill in a lot of genres.
  3. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    We play punk/hardcore and I would use a bongo if it wernt so heavy. I know some people say it's pretty light, but to me it is just too heavy to lug around on stage. If you stand still or just move a little, go for it. The tone you can get to cut thru a guitarist running a decent amout of distortion will be very nice. Good luck. Joe
  4. Personally, I've never met a heavy bongo.
  5. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    I thought the fish it was made of was pretty light. ;)
  6. Although I dislike it's look, the bongo in a punk band would probably do nicely.

It would be a bit overkill IMO. Like bringing a sidewinder missile to a gunfight ;)

But if you play more than punk as well, I say go for it if you can.
  7. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I know it would be fine. You can get any sound you want with HH Bongo. I use mine for Gospel, rock, jazz...pretty much everything. Most punk bands I've heard and seen use a p-bass. You can match that sound of that of a sterling no prob. Go with the bongo!
  8. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Does anyone else think a graphite necked Bongo would be awesome? I think this would go exellently with its futuristic vibe.
  9. Punk is my main genre at the moment playing-wise, I've just upgraded from my Yamaha RBX to an MIM Deluxe Active P-bass and it's fantastic...I'd consider it over a bongo...then maybe spend the $600 you'd save on a beasty ampeg combo...but that's just me...
  10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nope, Bongos are not acceptable for playing punk. If you want to play punk, you may use this bass, and this bass alone:

Honestly, with the Geddy and SX you already have, you should be pretty well covered for any punk tones. I used a Jazz for years playing punk and ska, and couldn't have been happier.
  11. You can play punk with pretty much any bass.
  12. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks alot for the replies guys. For the longest time I've been thinking about getting a Sterling. But I'm worried that the lack of bottom end will really just end up with a harsh trebbly sound when I play it with a pick. That was the case with my old Stingray anyway. I know the dual pup sterlings are coming out but I cant say I'm liking the looks of those so thats why I figured that a Bongo would be something good to consider. Oh well its something to think about.
  13. one thing about those bongos....why so many knobs man? i'm too confused(and naive) to learn all those knobs :bag:
  14. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    The sterling has serious amounts of bottom end. No need to worry about lack of low end IMO.
  15. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    The Bongo would be fine for punk. The Nerve, anyone? It's got a pretty aggro sound so it'd do you well.
  16. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Volume, neck and bridge pickup blend, stacked low-mid high-mid, stacked bass and treble.
  17. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    If you weren't happy with the Ray you probably won't dig the Sterling's sound either. The Bongo can do any and every style very well, including punk.

18. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I tried it out and I thought it gave an amazing variety of tones. Bad tones.

I'd rather have one good tone.

Use your Fender for punk.
  19. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replys. I'm glad to know a bongo would work in the punk setting. I'm not planning on using it exclusively for punk, I know both my Jazz and P bass are more than enough needed for what I play but I wanted to get an active bass to add to my arsenal, and it would be nice to be able to use it out at some occasional punk gigs. Anyway I appreciate the help, hopefully i'll decide whether I want to go for a Sterling or Bongo sometime soon. Thanks again
  20. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Not broken -----> Don't fix.

Keepa da Bongo da way she is. She may look funny, but she is schweet.